To process patients through the admission procedures as quickly as possible while collecting complete and accurate personal, clinical and financial information. The information, which should be gathered in an effective and courteous manner, is used to identify patients, ensure compliance with admission criteria, and establishes liability for payment and to bill and collect an account from third-party intermediaries and insurance companies.
Role Specific Competencies
1. Attempt to collect patient deposits or other uninsured balances on accounts.
- Negotiates deposits and payment arrangements with patients and or guarantors
- May make referrals for C harity C are and Medical Assistant to hospital staff
- Contacts physicians to postpone services when financial clearance cannot be obtained
2. Attends in-service education programs, departmental and hospital meetings.
- Attends departmental meetings when scheduled.
- Reads minutes of department meeting when absent and signs off on attendance sheet.
- Attends hospital in-service and training programs as required.
3. Communicates with Physicians and other departments regarding patient treatment
- Contacts physician offices for orders for patient care
- Seeks faxes orders when necessary
- Communicates with Nursing, Environmental Services regarding bed placements and discharges for inpatients
- Communicates with Discharge Planning when demographic or insurance changes are made for patient registrations
- Obtains interpreter for communications for hearing impaired or when there is a language barrier preventing completion of the
- registration process
4. Contacts insurance companies for patient benefits and authorization approval for patient care.
- Contact may be made by phone or when required by payors, contact is made by the internet to determine patient covered benefits
- May contact the insurance company by phone to clarify insurance coverage
- May document on line admission or other patient service date to initiate payors and hospital utilization review process
- Documents under hospital computer system the coverage data and any special billing instructions
- May need to pursue actual approval and authorization number from the insurance based upon diagnosis, service and contract coverage
- Routinely seeks information from physician offices to obtain authorizations for service
- May request from physicians that service be reschedule when payment from insurance or patient is doubtful
5. Follows and knows general hospital policies and procedures.
- Knows emergency codes
- Follows documented policies and procedures of the department and the hospital
- Attends staff meetings when requested
6. Registration Practice Standards
- Registers patients to ensure data quality and information represents sufficient data to collect accounts in addition to meeting federal, state and compliance mandates.
- Maintains a registration interview duration of 10 minutes or less.
- Maintains a minimum accuracy rate of 97% error-free registrations.
- Is able to assist patients at all registration locations throughout the hospital regardless of service type.
- Provides direction to patient where to report for hospital services.
- Registers appropriately scheduled patients, outpatients, inpatients.
- Interview patients face-to-face or by phone to obtain registration information. (prior to service/point of service.)
- Assists in the identification and revision of error reports.
- Prepares charts and folders when required.
- Places armband(s} on patient prior to service. (Patient ID, Falls Risk, etc.)
- Registrars will have access to clinical modules in order to conduct Order Entry for Admissions/Transfers and initial Patient Pharmacy
- Utilizes tools and resources consistently and appropriately (insurance verification, provider database, point of service cashiering, address verification, UNITE, Outlook, Ascom.)
- May be required to determine location of patient service or bed assignment.
- Obtains patient signatures on Consent forms, HIPAA, MIA, Observation Notice, Insurance Waiver, Important Message for Medicare and other important forms as required within the Hospital's policies.
- Conducts Bed Assignment duties accurately and quickly. (Bed Posting, Bed Log, Order Entry, Email, Ascom.)
- Documents any special instructions or pertinent data under Notes in the (BA/R) section of the Hospitals information system.
- Scans all required documents into the correct individuals patient record.
Qualifications and Experience
- Ability to type at least 40 wpm.
- High School Graduate required.
- Medical terminology preferred.
- Three (3) years health care experience in admitting preferred.
- Concentrate on moderate to fine detail for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to hear normal sounds with some background noise.
- Remembers schedules, tasks to be completed, where activities left off, etc.
- Routinely lifts objects under 20 pounds.
- Understand and can operate from the conceptual basis of tasks and activities.