We are hiring an Audience Growth Producer who strives to grow and diversify audiences for our journalism. In this role, you will help to bring wider readership on our news sites and platforms across McClatchy’s Central Region newsrooms, and will engage with our audiences on social media and through newsletters.
As a member of the Audience Growth & Retention team, you are responsible for helping to determine the best ways to promote our stories, videos and multimedia packages. Keen news judgment, strong communication skills and the ability to collaborate with fellow employees – both local and remote – are musts.
Location: This position is based at the Lexington Herald-Leader.
Key tasks include:
- Build and manage content-focused social media campaigns that elevate our journalism. The ideal candidate will write sharp, concise, clean social copy to help readers understand and engage with the local news that affects their daily lives. The candidate should be prepared to coach newsrooms on best social media practices.
- Support the region's breaking news strategy.
- Identify key new audiences, devising and launching key tactics to establish and connect with these communities.
- Collaborate with the analytics team to craft reports distributed to the newsrooms. The producer should have familiarity with data and insights to formulate and execute plans to grow and connect with audiences.
- Train newsrooms on SEO best practices, ensuring local and breaking news stories are surfaced for potential readers through search.
- Other digital audience growth duties as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- 2+ years of writing, editing, digital and/or social media experience
- Passion for news
- Proven ability to work with cross-functional teams.
- Experience managing social media accounts and working knowledge of SEO concepts
- A love for experimentation
- Ability to use metrics to make real-time decisions and develop digital strategies
- Possess excellent communication skills including being comfortable with leading meetings.
- An independent spirit that can make decisions quickly and can handle several tasks at once.
- May include evening and weekend shifts.