Tuesday, October 12, 2021
Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media
assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S.,
and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with
more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing
services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which
are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events
business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Round Rock Reporter
The Austin American-Statesman/statesman.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for an entry-level reporter to work in its Round Rock bureau for two of its weekly publications the Round Rock Leader and the Pflugerville Pflag.
This is the perfect job for a new but scrappy journalist wanting to cut their teeth at award-winning publications just north of the Live Music Capital of the World.
This reporter would cover diverse communities in Williamson and Travis counties for the Leader, Pflag and the Statesmans regional audience. This reporter would be responsible for daily newsgathering for digital and social platforms and for writing news articles and features that would appear in the weekly Leader and Pflag, as well as the Statesman, print publications.
Reporters in this position have been on the front lines of history, covering breaking news about the deadly freeze, COVID, the Austin bombings and George Floyd protests on social media and on our websites, including sharing and posting photographs and video. News happens fast, so a sense of urgency is key. But we put a priority on quality, in-depth reporting. If youve got that kind of fire and desire, please apply.
This reporter would be expected to generate story ideas and follow up on news leads. Much of this reporters time would be spent out reporting in the community.
- Creates coverage that accurately informs, engages, and entertains specific audiences and platforms using metrics.
- Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Works toward becoming the communitys leading voice in area of expertise.
- Serve as a public ambassador for our brand through connecting with the community via social media, on camera, in forums, community leadership, etc.
- Works with content strategist to evaluate what's working and what's not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e., photos, videos, and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor's or masters degree in communications, journalism or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Applicants should have some internship and college newspaper experience and clips that demonstrate an ability to establish and maintain community, business, and government sources to enhance fact gathering and credibility. Knows how to use time efficiently in a 24-hour newsroom.
Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.
Experience developing following around personal journalism through use of social media.
Strong command of AP grammar and style.
Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
Works weekends and nights as needed.
Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
Ability to speak Spanish would be a plus.
This role requires a valid drivers license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen.
How to Apply:
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, dont limit your upload to a resume; show us what youve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what youve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc.is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.