RN Team Leader - ICU/IMC
The Team Leader is a Registered professional Nurse who assists the Nurse Manager in the provision of Nursing Services on the Unit. He/she is accountable for the functioning of the unit on a shift-by-shift basis.
Role Specific Competencies
1. Assists in the organization of personnel, activities and facilities of the Unit necessary for the provision of nursing services. (RN Team Leader)
- Provides ongoing feedback to Nurse Manager regarding staff performance.
- Modifies assignments based on individual's learning needs and feedback that promotes quality services and professional growth of employee supervised.
- Delegates responsibilities effectively and appropriately.
- Utilizes nursing personnel according to individual abilities and needs.
- Coordinates/facilitates patient assignments on a shift basis.
- Consistently supports staff in the provision of nursing care.
- Provides direction and guidance as necessary.
- Supervises/assists staff with nursing activities appropriately.
- Demonstrates receptiveness to ideas and suggestions of employees.
- Consistently acts as a role model in demonstrating effective communicating skills.
- Serves as a resource person to staff intervening when necessary in difficult patient care situations.
- Assists with Employee Health duties to provide continuity of care for employees - ER only.
- Interprets nursing practices to patient, family, physician and community.
- Assists with the determination of equipment needed for unit functioning.
2. Maintains a work environment which facilitates efficient, cost effective unit functioning.
- Interacts with staff in appropriate manner leading to maximum team productivity.
- Participates in unit orientation programs for all employees as demonstrated by individual employee orientation plans and completion of program.
- Monitors staff education needs.
- Coordinates clinical practice and resources at the unit level.
- Offers suggestions to the Director/Nurse Manager that lead to revision of current policies and procedures.
- Provides Director/Nurse Manager with current status of equipment needs/functioning/maintenance.
- Conducts ongoing inventory of supplies and assures par level are appropriate for providing quality patient care.
3. Maintains adherence to quality of care standards for patient care.
- Monitors implementation of standards for clinical area which are consistent with Department, Hospital and regulatory agency standards. As assigned, collects unit-based PI data.
- As appropriate, initiates Incident Trending Reports within a timely manner.
- Interacts daily with patients to ascertain satisfaction with care.
- Makes appropriate recommendations to Director/Nurse Manager that will lead to improved patient care.
- Provides guidance to staff members in clinical situations that require complex interventions, selection, alternatives or innovative solutions.
Qualifications and Experience
- Current AC LS is required, if applicable to specialty.
- Current C PR/BLS is required.
- Current ENPC /PALS is required, if applicable to specialty.
- Graduate from an accredited School of Nursing.
- Minimum of two (2) years previous experience in the clinical area.
- Registered Nurse license, State of Maryland or Compact.
- BSN preferred.
- Concentrates on moderate to fine detail for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to hear normal sounds with some background noise.
- Routinely lifts objects under 50 pounds.
Understands and can operate from the conceptual basis o