Job Purpose: Primary Responsibility is to safely transport passengers in multiple types of vehicles, including those with manual and automatic transmissions.
- Drives a regular route, is a regular, spare or charter driver. Safe operation of transportation vehicle.
- Read and understand street signs, route sheets and maps.
- Complete pre-trip and post-trip inspections of the bus, including child checks.
- Assists students in the loading and unloading process, including wheelchair lift.
- Cooperates and communicates with school personnel, parents and students.
- Attend all safety and training meetings.
- Conducts emergency evacuation from the bus, including exiting from the emergency door.
- Cleans the insides of the bus including sweeping, dusting and cleaning windows. Cleans outside windows of the bus.
- Other specialized functions as required by contract.
- Responsible for student management.
- Ability to learn and follow a route sheet/electronic routing device.
Minimum Education and Certifications required:
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred
- Posses or have the ability to obtain CDL operators license with required endorsements and other state or local permits as required
Requirements and Expectations:
- Good verbal communication skills.
- The ability to work early morning hours.
- Must be able to work without direct supervision.
- Must maintain a professional and respectful attitude toward fellow employees and customers.
- Dress in a professional and appropriate manner for a business environment.
- Perform all job functions in the safest manner adhering to OSHA guidelines and other applicable Federal and State laws.
- Execute all job duties while following company policy and procedure
- Ability to use or learn to use internet, additional programs as required and office equipment, including fax and phones or other electronic devices.
Physical requirements and Working Conditions:
- Ability to successfully complete and maintain dexterity test and DOT physical and comply with drug free workplace policy
- School bus yard/Office/On-the-road
- Physical requirements include:
- Pushing/Pulling: Opening service door, emergency door, bus hood, steering, windows, applying service and parking brake, adjusting mirrors and wheelchairs, student evacuations dragging up to 120lbs and for up to 40 feet.
- Lifting: Bus hood, trash box, challenged passenger into their seats, wheel chocks, tire chains, emergency equipment up to 40lbs.
- Walking: Crossing lot, up and down bus aisle, around exterior of bus
- Sitting: Up to 2-3 hours
- Climbing: Steps in and out of bus, cleaning windshield, under hood inspection, multiple times a day
- Reaching: Under hood inspection, cleaning windows, applying tie-downs, safety vests, car seats, adjust mirrors, opening emergency door from ground, checking roof hatch, applying service brake, clutch and accelerator
- Gripping: Doors, knobs, switches, handles etc.
- Hearing: Detecting problems with passengers on bus, emergency vehicles, unusual engine noises, normal conversation
- Bending/Stooping/Squatting: Pre-trip inspection, applying tie-downs, sweeping, checking for sleeping children multiple times per route per day
- Seeing: Driving, reading street signs and route sheets
- Communicating: Via the English language with passengers, parents, school officials, dispatch, monitor if applicable
- Dropping: From emergency door to ground
Applicants can apply in person at 2185 South Gilbert Street Iowa City, Iowa 52240 or online on our website by clicking "apply" above. Applicants can call 319-688-1900 with questions