Software Engineer - Core Networking
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Software and Services
Posted: Oct 12, 2021
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200297914
Apple is looking for a passionate and upbeat software engineer for the Core Networking team to lead and participate in the architecture and development of next generation networking technologies. The team is responsible for crafting and improving the operating system networking components across Apple's range of products including all iOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS based products. Specific areas of responsibility include the networking knowledge/control plane and networking interfaces. The ideal candidate should possess an excellent conceptual understanding and working knowledge of TCP/IP and related networking technologies. System level software design experience is also crucial. The position will require the candidate to determine the appropriate tradeoffs between several contending factors including performance, efficiency, scalability, and security.
- Experience architecting, designing, and implementing scalable and highly-performant system software.
- Strong software development skills in one or more general purpose programming languages: C, C++, or Objective C.
- Previous software development lead experience.
- Knowledge of networking technologies including TCP/IP suite of protocols.
- Unix networking including sockets API.
- Network troubleshooting and debugging skills.
- Experience developing commercial networking software and/or hardware products.
- Passion and curiosity about keeping up with the latest trends/research in networking, including applications of AI/ML.
- Excellent leadership, communications, and interpersonal skills.
The candidate needs to be able to work in a fast paced environment, operate gracefully under stress, balance multiple assignments in parallel, and be hard-working to be effective in an environment with little overhead. The candidate also needs to show initiative, be able to take ownership of a problem area, and demonstrate an ability to understand the role of the group's technology in the larger context of the product and network environment. The position has cross-functional aspects and the candidate will need to show excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Education & Experience
BS in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or equivalent networking software development experience.
- iOS and macOS development experience
- API development experience
- Wireless networking technologies and standards (Wi-Fi and cellular)
- Network debugging tools (e.g., packet sniffers, protocol analyzers)