Sr. Product Safety Engineer
Austin , Texas , United States
Posted: Oct 11, 2021
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200293942
At Apple, phenomenal ideas have a way of becoming exceptional products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. Imagine what you could do here! This position is offered in the Product Safety Engineering department within Apple's Product Integrity organization. Our mission is to ensure that Apple products are safe for our customers to use throughout the world and also comply with worldwide safety requirements. Apple's Product Safety Group seeks a high-energy, poised, data-driven and detail-oriented hands on lead engineer with a background in electrical/electronics engineering to support safety engineering design and testing of innovative consumer products.
- 5+ years of proven experience leading and mentoring a team of safety engineers
- Expertise in leading several concurrent high-visibility cross-functional projects
- 10+ years of engineering experience in consumer, medical, military, space product design, or reliability engineering experience with a deep knowledge of electronics design, safety, risk and failure analysis.
- Proficient in evaluating product safety, product safety testing, and compliance to at least two standards from the following list: IEC/EN/UL/CSA 60950, 62368, 62133, and 60065.
- Solid safety technical background and hands-on experience in safety certifications of complex products and executing risk analysis to eliminate safety risks
- Solid understanding on test equipment, test procedures, and agency requirements from the above Safety Standards
- Interpret and negotiate requirements, apply knowledge to new situations, and implement new solutions with customer safety as the priority
- Being a great partner with vendor safety groups and contractors to develop and qualify product designs
- Conducting component-level safety analysis of electrical circuits and modules
- Conducting FMEA and Safety Fault Tree Analysis (desirable)
- Conducting detailed failure analysis and developing lessons learned
- Technical writing, data analytics/statistics, and ability to build and execute presentations for Executives.
- Someone who will be both, confident to work independently and be a good team member
We are seeking a qualified senior engineer who can coach and challenge our safety engineering team while giving tactical and strategic mentorship. Quickly develop deep understanding of Apple products and work with multi-functional teams to identify and address safety requirements and resolve design challenges of new technologies. Effective communication is key to thrive in this highly cross functional role. You should be good at tailoring verbal and written communication to multidisciplinary audiences at all levels. Additional responsibilities are work with suppliers to ensure that product safety is addressed and maintained during production; Conduct Safety compliance testing, report writing and obtain certifications ; Work closely with our FA lab team to understand failure and field returns.
Education & Experience
- Master of Science in Electrical, Electronics, or Master of Science in Biomedical Engineering