Product Design Engineer - Softgoods
Boulder , Colorado , United States
Posted: Oct 11, 2021
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200298468
Why Apple? At Apple, we believe our products begin with our people. By hiring a diverse team we drive creative thought. By giving that team everything they need we drive innovation. By hiring incredible engineers we drive precision. And through our collaborative process we create memorable experiences for our customers. These elements come together to make Apple an amazing environment for motivated people to do the greatest work of their lives. Why Softgoods? Apple's Softgoods Engineering team is relatively new to Apple. We work with textiles, leather, silicone and soft polymers. Our mission is to use these incredible materials to enable new product categories, and to enhance Apple's existing product lines. Bringing Apple engineering and precision to products made of soft materials is an exciting challenge and requires a creative and open minded approach. We have an inclusive and talented team of people, from a wide variety of backgrounds. We all work together in a beautiful customized lab where we design, engineer, and develop the best Softgoods products in the world. If this sounds like an exciting challenge, we hope you will consider a place in our team!
- At least 3 years of experience in production part design utilizing a variety of engineering materials
- Good engineering fundamentals (beam bending, free body diagrams, GD&T, etc...)
- 3D and 2D CAD skills (NX preferred)
- Solid verbal and written presentation skills (Keynote or Powerpoint)
- Experience using spreadsheets to analyze engineering data (FAI/CPK, tolerance analysis)
- Experience engaging with manufacturers
- Creative problem solving, with experience in failure analysis, root cause investigation, and DOE creation
- BS in Mechanical Engineering
- OTHER SKILLS AND TRAINING WE LIKE TO SEE:
- Knowledge of soft goods materials (synthetics, leather, adhesives)
- Knowledge of soft goods assembly process (bonding, cutting, stitching)
- MS degree in Engineering
We are looking for a highly motivated product design engineering lead. You will be part of a cross-functional team to conceive, design, validate, and launch exciting new products. You will work closely with many different groups, including Industrial Design, System PD, Hardware Engineering, Operations, Packaging, Reliability, and Software. The team is responsible for products in the following categories: iPhone accessories, iPad accessories, AppleWatch bands, Audio, as well as supporting other teams at Apple that wish to use soft goods materials in their designs. By joining our team, you will work side by side with your teammates inside Apple and at our partner facilities to define CAD, create drawings, and collaborate with vendors to produce these parts. You will perform engineering analyses on your designs using appropriate methods such as hand calculation, computer simulation, FEA, and dimensional tolerance analysis. You will assemble early prototypes, travel to China to support engineering builds, and solve problems on the assembly line.
Education & Experience
BS in Mechanical Engineering.
- If you are a Colorado resident, this is for you:
- At Apple, we see the whole you. We carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors, including your background and experience. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary. Product Design Engineer starts at a minimum annual salary $107,500. The actual pay may be higher depending on your skills, qualifications, and experience. Additionally, this role might be eligible for discretionary bonuses or commission payments as well as relocation. Every Apple employee also has the opportunity to become an Apple shareholder, because all team members are eligible for stock grants and also a discount when purchasing Apple stock.
- We offer all kinds of ways to experience well-being, confidence, and satisfaction. Learn more about Apple benefits.
- Note: Apple benefits programs are subject to eligibility requirements.