iOS Kernel Software Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Software and Services
Posted: Oct 6, 2021
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200293607
Join the Wireless Technologies and Ecosystems (WTE) organization and be part of a best-in-class team of engineers, working with multi-functional teams to drive innovation and develop products used by millions worldwide. Apple's Cellular Inter-Processor Communication (IPC) team is seeking talented, motivated, and tenacious engineers to work across layers building the kernel drivers, frameworks, and tools that enable cutting-edge cellular technologies. If you want to impact the present and future of Apple products, we want to talk to you.
- Experience developing and maintaining kernel drivers for custom hardware.
- Strong engineering skills including software design, C and C++ programming, testing, and debugging.
- Careful attention to the details that produce reliable and robust systems.
- Ability to communicate clearly with multiple teams in multiple time zones on multiple projects.
- Familiarity with PCIe architectural details is preferred.
- Familiarity with internet protocols (e.g. TCP, UDP, IP, QUIC) is preferred.
- Familiarity with secure programming principles is preferred.
The Cellular IPC team within WTE is responsible for the design, implementation, and maintenance of the drivers, frameworks, and tools that are the foundation for almost all communication between devices' cellular baseband and application processors. The team investigates high-priority issues under time pressure and brings up new platforms, so skill in balancing urgent obligations against long-term technical goals is critical. Success on this team requires cultivating a broad understanding of the entire system and using it to build cross-functional consensus and negotiate detailed technical alignment. We are a nexus of collaboration for new technologies and innovations between groups with different goals and priorities, including hardware, cellular protocol software, iOS kernel, iOS network stack, telephony software, and external vendors. We take pride in building the reliable, performant systems that synthesize these innovations into "magical" user experiences.
Education & Experience
Bachelor's or Master's in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Computer Science, or equivalent.
- Candidates with substantial kernel driver design experience will be considered