Noise & Vibration Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Oct 5, 2021
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200295506
At Apple, new ideas have a way of quickly becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences. Sound is an essential and compelling facet of the customer experience so Apple has assembled a world-class Acoustics team that enables our customers to experience music with delight, communicate with clarity, and appreciate our products without disturbance from noise. In Apple Acoustics we work with obsessive attention to detail, directly contributing to products that ship to millions of people around the world. Our Noise & Vibration team contributes to hardware design, validation, and troubleshooting to minimize distracting audible noises and optimize their sound quality. We are a diverse team of acoustics and vibration experts, accomplished listeners, and creative problem solvers. We work daily with multifunctional teams on innovative solutions to complex engineering challenges. We are looking for a Noise & Vibration Engineer to join our team!
- Knowledge of acoustic and vibration principles and how motion of mechanical systems turns into radiated noise.
- Acoustic and vibration measurement skills with experience making measurements in anechoic/hemi-anechoic chambers and with data analysis /signal processing methodologies.
- Ability to quantify noise response relationship to a system's excitation (motion, thermal, or other) to effectively guide design improvements.
- Accomplished listener with excellent hearing over the audible frequency range.
- Ability to effectively communicate complex information and concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Creative problem solver who thrives in a fast-paced multi-tasking environment.
- Useful but not required: familiar with statistical analysis methods, experience with precision-grade instrumentation including ultra low noise measurements, knowledge in electro-magnetic actuators, and familiarity with Matlab or other flexible data analysis software.
As a BSR Engineer on the Noise & Vibration team, you will quantify noises, evaluate acoustic performance, facilitate user studies, and establish thresholds in both lab and factory environments. You will collaborate with cross functional teams to troubleshoot, identify source, and fix noises found during testing by providing design feedback to design teams. The analysis of the validation work that you will lead will help you to better understand root causes of various problems. To accomplish these tasks you will author procedures, test plans and specifications. As a part of a team, you will develop and facilitate use of objective test stations. You will work closely with team members who support product development builds at factories, including some potential domestic and international travel (up to 10%).
Education & Experience
Most of our engineers have advanced degrees in Acoustics or equivalent field, but if you have followed a different path to expertise in acoustics, vibration, noise control, or sound quality, we want to hear from you.