Bilingual School Secretary-1377 (Trailwoods)
Primary Location Trailwoods
Salary Range $17.00 - $26.09 / Per Hour
Shift Type Full-Time
KANSAS CITY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Job Title: School Secretary
Job Title Code: 01377
Salary Grade: C03 ($17.00 - $26.09)
Reports To: Principal or designee
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Date Prepared: June 2010 Revised: August 2015
PURPOSE OF JOB: To contribute to the efficient operation of the school office. School office functions include communications, maintenance and/or input for student attendance/ academic performance and school staff time/attendance records. Provides general secretarial/clerical support and is expected to conform to the highest standards of professionalism.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: include the following. A school secretary may be assigned any of the duties listed in this job description; other duties may be assigned.
- Assists in ensuring a productive and smoothly run office which provides excellent customer service and responsiveness to all persons who access that office.
- Serves as receptionist to all persons entering the main office and/or attendance areas.
- Exercises discretion in handling public contacts.
- Receives and tabulates daily attendance, maintains student attendance records and contacts parents of absentees.
- Explains attendance policies and procedures and manages processing of absence and tardy notices.
- Partners with Truancy personnel regarding student attendance and parent contact.
- Assists parents seeking homework assignments for their children who have been absent.
- Maintains student transfer requests and withdrawal approval file.
- Accurately enrolls and withdraws students on a daily basis. Enters student's name, address and other changes to the student data system.
- Maintains, formulates, updates and requests pupil records. Requests and enters transcripts and testing results.
- Maintains time and attendance records for school personnel and enters this information into Payroll System.
- Handles telephone calls, relays messages, makes appointments and appropriately responds to inquiries.
- Maintains a schedule of required Kansas City Public Schools and governmental attendance reports and prepares these reports for principal's signature.
- Schedules student and staff conferences with the principal and/or assistant principal.
- Maintains an efficient filing system for the building and student records.
- Types correspondence, reports, manuals, notices, files vouchers and other forms as assigned.
- Reads and routes incoming mail, including faculty and staff mail slots. Locates and attaches appropriate documents to correspondence to be answered by school staff.
- Stuffs envelopes by hand or with envelope stuffing machine. Stamps, sorts and distributes mail and runs errands. Addresses envelopes or packages for mailing.
- Assures that the school maintains the proper levels of office supplies.
- Assigns and orients substitute teachers upon arrival in the building
- Prepares correspondence and memos from rough drafts. Performs clerical work for school counselors.
- Collects and compiles information to prepare periodic reports.
- Possesses working knowledge of master scheduling and assists those who are responsible for its development.
- Attends meetings as required.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None
- High school diploma or GED certificate.
- Accurately type a minimum of 40 wpm.
- 80% proficiency on written clerical skills assessment.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (spreadsheet, word processing, Power Point)
- Two (2) years prior clerical/secretarial experience
- One (1) year experience with any HRIS
(Bilingual proficiency may be preferred or required for sites with large proportion of second language learners)
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job requires that the employee be able to: sit, stand, walk, speak, hear, use hands, fingers, reach with hands and fingers; bend, stoop, lift objects of at least ten pounds. Job requires the employee occasionally to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Visual ability requires mono and color vision, close vision, distance vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Length of work year: Depending on the school budget this description may be assigned to:
12 month (261 days)
Benefits: Health and Dental Insurance are provided.
KCPS Defined Benefit Pension plan - mandatory 9% contribution is required from employee and matched by KCPS; Voluntary retirement savings plans are also available.