Video Codec Architect - Platform Architecture
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Nov 8, 2021
Role Number: 200310728
Do you love crafting elegant solutions to highly complex challenges? Are you a big-picture visionary who understands how each element affects all the others? At Apple, our Architecture group is responsible for connecting our hardware and software into one unified system. Join this team, and you'll collaborate with engineers across Apple to design how all of our technologies work in unison. In this role, you will be interfacing with software and hardware designers to develop algorithms and architectures for hardware video codecs.
- The ideal candidate will have 5+ years experience in video codec architecture design working on hardware architectures for complex video processors:
- Experience working on all aspects of video codec processing including motion estimation, transform/quantization, motion compensation, entropy coding
- Expert knowledge of video coding standards including MPEG-4, H.264, HEVC
- Expert knowledge of digital signal processing and information theory and its applications to video compression
- Experience developing C/C++ bit accurate models for hardware validation
- Knowledge of scripting languages such as Perl and/or Python
- Experience developing hardware video codecs from concept to products
- Experience evaluating compression efficiency performance of video encoders
As a Video Codec Architect owning the algorithms, design, and architecture for video encoding, you will have responsibilities spanning various aspects of video codec design: - Invent and evaluate new video encoding algorithms suitable for hardware implementations, such as motion estimation, mode decision, rate-distortion optimizations - Work with chip architecture team and software teams to define, document and implement encoding algorithms for video encoders - Work with hardware design team to define video codec hardware acceleration processing units - Generate architecture test vectors for hardware validation - Develop bit-accurate C-models for hardware validation
Education & Experience
BS/MS in EE/CS or equivalent.