Tuesday, November 9, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visitwww.gannett.com
The Jacksonville Daily News/jdnews.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for a local news editor to help guide reporters in this coastal North Carolina newsroom. This person also will serve as a senior-level reporter, regularly contributing enterprise content on various topics of interest to residents of Onslow County.
The local news editor should embrace coaching and developing journalists who reveal important news, create stories with power and clarity and bring crucial context that helps our audience make sense of life in our city, in this time.
The editor coaches, supervises and directs the work of two full-time reporters, encouraging independent planning and self-direction. Priority areas include, but are not limited to, investigative reporting, narrative writing, photography and videography, beat development and digital content.
This position is ideal for someone looking to move into a leadership andediting role within the USA TODAY NETWORK. Onslow County has a population of 198,000 people and is on the eastern coast of North Carolina. The countys proximity to the coast provides for year-around access to beaches and outdoor activities are plentiful. The area also offers many events for young professionals and family fun.
Jacksonville, the county seat, is home to the US Marine Corps' Camp Lejeune and New River Air Station. Onslow County also includes Holly Ridge, North Topsail Beach, Richlands, Swansboro, Hubert, Verona and Sneads Ferry.
- Write accurate, powerful, enticing headlines.
- Collaborate with and directs other team members to produce
- Ensure web and social media platforms are managed to serve the audience daily.
- Work with remote design team to facilitate print production.
- Bachelor's or masters degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field preferred or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Command of media law and principles of ethical conduct.
- Must embrace peer-to-peer training, as both a teacher and student.
- Experience with advanced storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
- Experience editing and shaping watchdog and investigative journalism.
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills.
- Understanding use of metrics, social-media and SEO knowledge.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Strong grasp of journalism skills (reporting and editing) and advanced knowledge of writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- News often requires employees to work extended hours, evenings, weekends and holidays, sometimes unexpectedly.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer drug screen and background check.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employees race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees.
In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicants disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.s Recruitment Department at Recruit@gannett.com.