Provides computer system technical services and other technical laboratory support services in support of academic program classrooms, laboratories, and research laboratories in the College of Technology, Architecture & Applied Engineering. Performs a variety of computer system technical support for Apple and PC computers including installation, diagnostics, repair, maintenance, data recover and/or transfer, software upgrades. Provides support for mobile devices, network configuration, server issues. Establishes and maintains internal inventory and auditing controls to ensure accuracy and accountability related to all laboratory supplies, equipment purchasing. Oversees the Technology Stores operational budget and CTAAE course fee budget. Ensures excellent customer service during Technology Stores hours to cover all laboratory classes and field trips by implementing appropriate policies and practices for one classified staff and student employees. Maintains the safety and cleanliness of all college facilities. Develops equipment policies related to equipment use and safety.
Essential Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities
Computer and Other Technical Support
- Install, design, and configure operation system components to gain the most functionality out of PC and Apple computer systems.
- Provide assistance with computer network interfaces, installation, and maintenance of computer and software systems, and maintain computer system security.
- Work with faculty to troubleshoot, repair and maintain computers and specialized computer hardware including microcontrollers, FPGA’s, wireless devices, PLC, Ni-Elvis based hardware and computer networking hardware.
- Provide installation, support, and license management for college-owned software and related peripherals on PC and Macintosh computers in classrooms, computer labs, and research labs.
- Works with faculty to oversee and support third party systems, college managed systems, and faculty research systems that are not directly supported by ITS. Understanding of ITS requirements. Installs third party system related computers, routers, and other hardware and peripherals, updates or repairs existing systems, trouble-shooting hardware and software problems.
- Communicates college needs related to these systems to ITS. Keeps ITS aware of how changes may affect the systems, any special needs for college computer-based and networked systems.
- Work with the electronics and mechanical laboratory specialist to support troubleshooting of any computer-based components of complex robotic, and advanced manufacturing systems that are 3rd party systems or college managed systems.
- Maintain and repair electronic test equipment including DC power supplies, function generator, oscilloscopes and multimeters.
- Provide technical support for multi-media equipment, specialized cameras, special-purpose imaging and VCTE printing equipment including a superwide inkjet printer, etc.
- Provide management of laser cutter and large format printer that includes reservations, students’ usage and machine maintenance that includes changing filter and routine cleaning of laser lens. Maintain drawing tables, tops and parallel bars.
- Support the architecture, construction project lab, and materials lab. This includes organization of large construction materials, loading and unloading of materials from vendors, disposal of construction materials (wood, metal, concrete, soils). Helps faculty and students with the understanding and operation of construction equipment including dangerous equipment such as circular saws.
- Set up and maintain Architecture and CM equipment and laboratory classes set up, and technical support for architecture and CM laboratory classes.
- Oversee physical facilities for the college and all programs in several buildings/locations. Ensure facilities are in presentable condition for recruitment, donors, vendors, visitors.
- Understands all university and college safety policies and procedures, supports the creation and updating of new safety policies for the laboratories. Reviews the college safety data collection system and notifies the appropriate people when any safety issues are reported.
- Creates documentation of the status of the college labs and reports information to the supervisor every 6 months or when requested.
- Knowledge of cloud-based computing, e.g. Citrix
II Technology Stores
- Establish and maintain internal auditing controls to ensure accuracy and accountability related to the Technology Stores operational budget and CTAAE lab fees budget. Track lab fee data and trends. Coordinate the annual review and submission of CTAAE’s Special Course and Class Fees. Proactively track and project future supplies and budget needs.
- Identify vendors for lab materials, equipment, and systems and maintain the vendor list. Track the technology store budget and tech fees by department, by programs, and by classes.
- Provide general assistance to faculty, staff, and students as needed. Provide technical and purchasing advice to departments and faculty.
- Responsible for maintaining and updating the lending program to provide students with the use of specialized and departmental equipment.
- Receives, inventories, and tracks all external delivery services. Distributes to college, departments or faculty/staff and necessary, or storage as necessary.
- Ensure excellent customer service for Technology Store hours to cover all laboratory classes and field trips by implementing appropriate policies and practices for employees. Provides fair and reasonable work assignments and duties for student workers. Provides training to ensure student confidence and knowledge of customer service so they may work alone in absence of supervisor during day and evening hours.
- Keep technology store clean and organized
- Serves as the primary lead organizer for yearly Falcon BEST Robotics Competition with support from the Electronics/Mechanical specialist, the committee, and faculty who are supporting. This includes interacting with the BEST Robotics organization to obtain all information to prepare for the competition. Overseeing the logistics and coordination for all required meetings with the competitor high schools, the practice days, game day, ordering supplies, sending the kits, and creating the playing field. The ability to read blue prints of the field design.
- Assures college laboratory compliance through the Environmental Health and Safety/Risk Management department.
- Facilitates the removal/disposal of waste and of hazardous waste generated by the college as well as hazardous chemicals.
- Able to work independently with little supervision. Must be have excellent organizational skills. Being able to communicate with a wide variety of college, department, university, and external constituents with different personalities is key to success.
- Flexibility, organization, pre-planning, documentation, and forward thinking is necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
- Computer and computer networking skills
- Ability to maintain and support laboratory equipment a variety of labs (computer, printing, mechanical, electrical, construction, architecture)
- Simple construction and how to use construction tools (e.g. circular saw)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent Organizational skills
- Able to work independently with little supervision.
- Must be have excellent organizational skills.
- Being able to communicate with a wide variety of college, department, university, and external constituents with different personalities is key to success.
- Ability to track funds and costs, place orders, interact with vendors, troubleshoot
In addition to your cover letter and resume, you will be required to upload a written response to the diversity and inclusion question listed below. The Diversity Statement should not exceed 1 page that is double-spaced with 1-inch margins, using 12pt. font.
- How have you incorporated equity, diversity, and/or inclusion into your current or a previous position?
Associate degree in computer science, computer engineering, software engineering information technology and Information systems, systems and network administration or related field. Degree must be conferred at the time of application.
3 years of professional experience in any of the following areas:
- Hardware support and maintenance
- Software and operating system support and maintenance
- Software application deployment
- Enterprise systems support and maintenance
- Computer networking support experience
A bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, software engineering information technology, and/or Information systems, systems and network administration or closely related field.
Full-time, Administrative staff position available. Administrative Grade Level 354. Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Full benefit package available.
For a complete job description & to apply for this position visit https://bgsu.hiretouch.com/ or contact the Office of Human Resources at (419) 372-8421. BGSU. AA/EEO/Disabilities/Veterans. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Bowling Green State University, please call 419-372-8421.