Michigan Public Health Institute
Title: Event Planner Education and Training Team
$21.00 - $25.00 / Posted Thru 12-9-21
MPHI is a Federal Contractor and under Federal mandates for Covid-19 vaccinations
Work Location Okemos, MI with flexibility for remote working
Purpose: Under the supervision and direction of the supervisor, the Event Planner will have hands-on and client facing responsibility to coordinate the production of webinars, livestreams and virtual events. Once events return to in-person, this position will be coordinating conferences and/or training events. To be successful in this role you will need to be self-directed, creative, technically savvy, and driven to deliver exceptional events.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Schedules, sets agendas, leads, and gets consensus in meetings with clients.
- Guides diverse committees through the steps needed to plan both in-person and virtual events (i.e. food and beverage, facility coordination, timeline, deliverables, event agenda structure, presenters, etc.).
- Researches, sets up, troubleshoots, and executes event technology solutions used for virtual events.
- Delivers events designed to engage and inspire clients and attendees.
- Directs, assigns, and reviews work of other team members.
- Coordinates the creation of training materials for assigned events (i.e. meeting agendas, packets, brochures, website updates, etc.)
- Responsible for all event logistics including arrangements for conferences and training at meeting facilities, catering, speaker contracts and travel arrangement, and exhibitor logistics.
- Compile and summarize evaluation results and assist with writing reports, manuals, articles, quarterly reports, work plans and other written materials.
- Acquires all necessary information from presenters and planning committees to apply for Continuing Education credit and creates Continuing Education reference documents.
- Actively works in collaboration with cross-functional teams to develop processes, conduct quality improvement measures and innovations to solve project systematic issues while providing meaningful input to leverage teams talents and services.
- Staffs regional trainings and conferences within the state of Michigan.
- Act as a liaison with clients, vendors and funding agencies.
- Assist with the design, development, and distribution of promotional and program materials.
- Assist in budget development for training activities and monitor project budget spending specific to presenter costs, facility costs, and general training expenditures.
- Negotiate price quotes with vendors to comply with budgetary guidelines for public health events.
- Represent MPHI through presentations and exhibiting at local, state and national conference and training events within and outside of Michigan.
- Maintain a positive, strong, credible, professional and interpersonal relationship with all parties relevant of MPHI projects and represent the best interest of MPHI at all times.
Education: Bachelors degree in relevant field is required or equivalent work experience. Certification in meeting planning, convention industry, (CMP, CSEP, GMP, DES, etc.) and/or Project Management (PMP, CAPM, SCRUM) is strongly preferred.
Experience: A minimum of three to five years of related and progressively more responsible work experience in event planning, education and training program development, or project management and communications within a team-based collaborative and highly productive environment. Specific experience of two years or more in continuing education administration is highly desired.
Important skills and characteristics:
- Must have strong organizational abilities; attention to detail; and time and project management skills in a fast pace environment with multiple milestones and deadlines.
- Able to quickly learn new virtual programs or platforms needed to execute events.
- Experience with negotiating prices and contracts with vendors.
- Outstanding oral, written communication and editing skills.
- Able to monitor and track project expenses.
Proficient in basic word processing, spreadsheets, and database systems.
- Strong customer focus and ability to portray patience when receiving and providing feedback and direction to clients.
- Able to work collaboratively with individuals from diverse social, economic, and cultural backgrounds including health care service providers, university faculty, advisors, and colleagues.
- Willingness to help others as a problem solver.
- Demonstrates critical thinking and emotional intelligence skills.
- Ability to lead projects with minimal supervision, while being self-motivated and self-directed.
Ability to review curriculum and provide presenter and content recommendations through a health equity lens.
- Represent the best interest of MPHI at all times.
- Other duties as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements: Job may require moderate physical effort including lifting materials and equipment of <50# and involves viewing a CRT or VDT screen 25% to 75% of the time. Standard office environment. May require valid vehicle operators license where needed to perform duties of the position. High level of state travel.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE WORK OF OTHERS: Occasional leaders, lead some projects and serve as a team member on others.
IMPACT ON PROJECTS, SERVICES AND OPERATIONS: Competent performance in this position has a substantial impact on the integrity and professional reputation of MPHI clients in a timely manner, maintaining professional relationships, and enhancing the future potential for future contracts with clients.
Supervision, Project updates & progress, coordination, planning
Event Management Team
Project updates, coordination, planning
ECS Finance Team
Project Monitoring, planning
Coordination, negotiation, monitoring
Project updates, monitoring