Requisition #: req6140
Location: Muskegon, MI
Hours: Full-time (40 hours/week)
Bethany is changing the world through family. We began our work by serving one child more than 75 years ago. Today, Bethany is an international Christian nonprofit partnering with communities in more than 30 states and in several countries around the world. We strengthen and preserve families, support displaced people fleeing danger, and find safe, loving families for children who need them. Bethany is at the forefront of creating and implementing solutions to meet the growing needs of vulnerable children and families in the U.S. and around the world.
As a Program Interpreter for Refugee Services, you will be primarily responsible for providing culturally sensitive language support to Case Managers and refugee clients. This individual will also be responsible for serving across multiple programs to include the Refugee Employment Program, Independent Living Plus and Unaccompanied Refugee Minor Program.
This position is expected to function effectively with regular supervision while following the guidelines given on procedures, along with agency, federal, and state regulatory requirements.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Provide interpretation at face-to-face meetings, for text messages and phone calls;
- Obtain and retain up to date knowledge on respective programs;
- Successfully apply program knowledge on the job for each respective daily assignment;
- Interact professionally and in a caring, consistent manner as expected in program guidelines;
- Maintain an adequate knowledge of clients' culture to facilitate effective engagement;
- Stay abreast of all agency, federal, and state regulatory requirements related to social services;
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or equivalent;
- Bachelor's level degree from an accredited college, preferred;
- Bi-lingual in English and clients' native language;
- Must be at least 21 years of age to operate a vehicle on behalf of the agency;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Demonstrated active listening and interpersonal skills;
- Possess an ability to engage and communicate effectively with a diverse group of individuals;
- Must have an ability to provide excellent and compassionate customer service;
- Ability to work independently and exercise a high level of confidentiality;
- Must possess excellent observation, and organizational skills;
- Demonstrated cross-cultural sensitivity;
- Work well under pressure and adaptable to change;
- Computer and typing skills sufficient to perform essential job functions;
- Must have an ability to work flexible work hours to include some evenings and weekends;
- Active motor vehicle license and a reliable automobile with adequate insurance coverage;
- Pass a criminal history screen, including state and local child protection agency registries;
- Subscription to and integration of the agency Statement of Faith, Mission Statement, and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Commitment.
We value and embrace the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion; our culture is strengthened and our workplace is more dynamic. We are a global organization with multicultural staff, clients and stakeholders, so we strive to create a workplace that reflects the communities we serve and where everyone feels empowered to bring their full, authentic selves to work. More work remains, but we are deeply committed to honestly acknowledging and addressing the impacts of race and racism throughout the organization. This work can be uncomfortable and even painful, but we believe that the greatest challenges bear the greatest rewards.