Coordinates the activities of the nursing service and other departments; provides clinical expertise and oversees management activities during his/her shift in consultation with the Unit Manager/Director for that unit, when appropriate. Provides direction for problem solving in nursing and in other departments during the absence of their supervisor. This individual will provide direct and indirect patient care and may have to rotate various shifts within a 24-hour period.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Directs hospital operations on assigned shifts by maintaining effective working relationships with and between departments.
- Ensures that staffing coincides with patient census and acuity.
- Enters assignments, call outs, and cancellations for the Flex Nursing Unit in the electronic scheduling system.
- Effectively implements the nursing process based on the Staff Nurse job description to provide care to patients.
- Demonstrates competency to provide age related care specific to the patient populations of the initiative
- Participates in compliance and implements AAMC policies and procedures.
- Acts as a role model to support the vision and mission of AAMC through behaviors that foster professionalism, empowerment, teamwork, productivity, and customer satisfaction.
- Directs patient care delivery in all nursing units by utilizing supervisory and leadership skills.
- Serves as a liaison between patients, family, staff, and professional staff in clinical and administrative situations when indicated.
- Attends mandatory departmental meetings, pertinent hospital in-services, and continues to develop their leadership skills through continuing education.
Required Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree in nursing
Preferred Experience: Critical Care and Med/Surg background.
Required Minimum Experience: Three years of active nursing experience in an acute care setting with one-year progressive charge/supervisor responsibilities. Maintains current skills validation as required by the Department of Nursing. Demonstrates the knowledge of principles of Growth and Development over the Lifespan.
Skills & Abilities Required:
Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel.
Strong interpersonal skills required to communicate with various departments and staff members.
Required License: Registered Nurse
Required Certification: American Heart Association Health Care Provider BLS (CPR), and ACLS certification.
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
Medium work. Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move object.
There is reasonable expectation that employees in this position will be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.