Product Design Materials - Senior Thin Films Coating Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Nov 12, 2021
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200312422
Imagine what you could do here! At Apple, great ideas have a way of becoming great products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and you will help to create the next generation of the world's finest electronic devices. As a Product Design Materials Engineer you will drive the rapid advancement of materials and processes that are the building blocks of our devices. You will work closely with many different cross-functional teams including Industrial Design, Operations, and Reliability.
- BS/MS in Materials Science or Mechanical Engineering.
- 2+ years designing optical or cosmetic coatings.
- In depth understanding & demonstrated capability characterizing PVD processing impacts on thin film optical and mechanical properties.
- Strong materials fundamentals in structure-properties relationship.
- Technical knowledge of various thin film growth technologies (wet coatings, evaporation, sputtering, PECVD...).
- Knowledge of different materials characterization and analysis methods (SEM, AFM, Ellipsometry, EDS, XRD, etc).
- Ability to independently drive projects and deliver a product.
- Excellent communication, organizational, and leadership skills.
- Flexibility and comfort working in a quickly changing environment.
- Preferred Experience
- PhD in Materials Science and/or 4 years of experience as a Materials Engineer.
- Expert optical coating designer with familiarity using Macleod, CODE, OptiLayer, Matlab, or other coating design software.
- Experience with PVD processing and PVD tool development.
- Experience with thin film failure analysis, reliability testing standards, and new test development.
- Familiarity with coatings on glass and plastics.
- Track record of material selection and development for products with demanding performance requirements.
In this critical, highly visible role, you will handle projects involving the design, integration and launch of state of the art materials for world-renowned Apple products. You will play a key part in providing Apple customers with the best user-experience in the industry by driving the rapid advancement of coatings and coating processes for user-facing cosmetic design, next-generation sensors, and overall product function. The Materials Product Design team features a team environment with dynamic people. You will work closely with many different cross-functional teams including Industrial Design, Operations, and Reliability. Come, join us in crafting solutions the world doesn't know of yet! experience as a Materials Engineer.
Education & Experience
PhD in Materials Science and/or 4 years of experience as a Materials Engineer.
- This position will require international travel (20%+).