Director of Information Technology
Hampton Lumber is a family-owned wood products company headquartered in Portland, Oregon. With over 1,700 employees, we operate ten sawmills in Western Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia. We also manage timberland and operate a wholesale and export division. With nearly 80 years in the sawmill business, we are proud to have cultivated the knowledge and experience needed to grow and prosper, even in challenging times. We always look to the future and invest in our people, new technologies, and continuous improvement processes and techniques.
The Director of IT position will be located in Portland and will report to the VP Accounting, IT and Business Development. The Director of IT leads the information technology organization for the Company. As such, this role is responsible for providing the vision, strategic direction, and operational oversight for developing and implementing IT initiatives that effectively support the existing operations and future growth of Hampton. As the recognized champion for IT at Hampton, the Director of IT will be responsible for all aspects of IT including, but not limited to, data management, corporate infrastructure, network, telecommunications, security, and service desk. This position has the authority to manage and direct activities to accomplish these responsibilities considering appropriate consultation with the VP Accounting, IT and Business Development. This role provides leadership and direction to the team members of the IT organization and emphasizes customer service, team process, and the importance of people in the Company's success. This position is expected to develop a culture among the IT team that values trust, healthy conflict, mutual support and honesty among teammates
Generous company-paid assistance for Medical and Dental insurance premiums; cost-effective co-pays & deductibles. Vision, Short Term Disability, Roth and pre-tax 401k, with a 2% company match and an additional 5% annual employer contribution, fully vested after three years.
Detailed responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Define, manage, implement and maintain a long-term IT strategic road map that aligns with the broader business/operational strategy.
- Direct the effective delivery of networks, development, and disaster recovery systems and processes.
- Recruit, develop, lead and manage an IT team of top-performing talent capable of supporting current and evolving needs of the organization.
- Model and foster a culture that promotes ethical practices, encourages integrity and customer service, and is conducive to attracting and retaining a diverse group of top-quality employees.
- Challenge IT personnel to be efficient, responsive and customer focused, while ensuring continuous improvement in the quality and cost-effectiveness of the products and services provided by the IT organization in alignment with Hampton Continuous Improvement (HCI).
- Ensure that all of Hampton's IT systems are appropriately protected against cyber threats and/or cyberattacks.
- Monitor actual and planned activities of IT resources to ensure adequate related resources are available and running consistently to meet customer up-time demands.
- Coordinate work with IT team and Mill Engineering team for capital projects and maintaining and securing the process control network (PCN).
- Establish and maintain company-wide risk management programs to ensure information assets are adequately protected. Design, implement and/or manage backup and disaster recovery systems in line with business objectives.
- Collaborate with sawmill operational engineers to appropriately support and coordinate corporate IT requirements with those of the sawmill operations.
- Support acquisition, merger and/or disposition activities to ensure IT needs are appropriately considered.
- Recommend, develop and maintain appropriate IT policies and procedures.
- Establish and maintain relationships with key IT suppliers and consultants.
- Some travel to mills and other office locations required.
- BA/BS Degree with major in computer science related field, or equivalent work experience.
- 10+ years of IT industry experience with emphasis in system development, technical operations, platform architecture, and service desk management.
- Experience building and maintaining corporate IT network infrastructure.
- Experience with direct management and supervision of an IT service team. Ability to build and manage diverse teams. Proven ability to set up teams and processes that result in high performance and customer satisfaction while maximizing team efficiency and productivity. Strong leadership and management skills and related experience.
- Excellent PC skills using Microsoft products.
- Demonstrate collaboration with other departments.
- Ability to initiate and work effectively in teams consisting of individuals from varied levels and functional backgrounds. Proven ability to engage leadership in all functional/operational areas, driving integrated IT planning throughout the company.
- Flexible and resourceful, has the ability to thrive in a dynamic business environment.
- Aptitude for and a drive to learn new technologies.
- Attention to detail with excellent problem-solving skills, high degree of accuracy and efficiency.
- Superior organizational and communication skills, plus the ability to initiate and handle multiple projects and deadlines and the ability to work with multiple internal customers and team members from varied levels and functional backgrounds.
- Strong work ethic, sense of commitment, team-oriented, customer focused and willingness to embrace change while striving for continuous improvement.
More About Us
Learn more at hamptonlumber.com, or follow us on Facebook: @HamptonLumber. You can also learn about our company and our priorities by visiting our blog.
Hampton Lumber is an equal opportunity employer: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by law.
Disability accommodation available: If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation in the application or hiring process, please contact the Human Resources Office for the location you are applying.
For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please see these government posters: EEO is the Law and its accompanying temporary supplement.