The Gates Chili Central School District is dedicated to fostering curiosity, growth, and diversity within our school community. The District celebrates and embraces differences and strives to dismantle exclusion, bias, racism, and prejudice of all forms.
Purpose: The Assistant Principal is as a member of the administrative team whose primary purpose is providing leadership and supervision in administering the educational program of an elementary school to promote the development and achievement of all students under the direction of the Building Principal.
- Assists in the development and administration of school programs consistent with school district goals and objectives.
- Functions as an instructional leader in the building.
- Provides leadership and direction to staff regarding the ongoing evaluation and improvement of educational programs, including curricular and extra-curricular activities.
- Creates a welcoming and inviting environment, where school community is engaged and supportive.
- Encourages parent/guardian involvement in school and serves as contact for parent(s)/guardian(s)
- Supports the oversight and implementation of culturally responsive practices within the school building.
- Prepares building master schedules.
- Continues to learn and grow in the areas of educational leadership and teaching and learning.
- Encourages staff to continue to grow professionally and to experiment with new approaches or strategies to teaching.
- Supervises building level committees, as assigned.
- Works collaboratively with district and building administration and peers in the implementation of District initiatives, policies, practices and procedures.
- Ensures that new employees and new students are welcomed into the building and provided with the information and resources necessary for them to have a successful start.
- Conducts ongoing assessment of student learning and works collaboratively with district and building leadership modify instructional methods to meet all students needs.
- Assists in the recruitment and selection of employees, the proper maintenance of employee personnel files, the administration of collective bargaining agreements, corrective action, and other human resource matters, in consultation with the Human resources Department.
- Oversees adherence to the Code of Conduct and Character and works directly with students to ensure student success both socially and academically.
- Monitors student attendance in conformance with the school's standards and school district policies.
- Supervises and evaluates teaching staff and other building employees in accordance with the school district's evaluation plan, and makes recommendations regarding goals, areas needing improvement and continued employment.
- Assists in the budgetary and financial affairs of the school consistent with school district policies.
- Assists in planning and preparation of school building events for parent(s)/guardians(s)/families and students.
- Oversees the buildings social media presence in consultation with the Director of Communication.
- Serves as building leader in the absence of the Principal.
- Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Building Principal.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of current teaching methods and educational pedagogy, as well as differentiates instruction based upon student learning styles
- Knowledge of school curriculum and concepts
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed
- Ability to organize and coordinate work
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and families
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation regarding performance, professional growth and cultural awareness.
- Ability to engage culturally diverse students
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others internal and external stakeholders
- Certification/License: NY State Certification as School Building Leader. Motor Vehicle Operator's License or ability to provide own transportation.
- Education: Masters degree from an accredited college or university, preferably in School Administration or other related educational discipline.
- Experience: Extensive successful teaching experience, preferably at the Elementary School level. Experience working with a diverse population of students desired.
- Demands: Works in standard office and school building environments.
- Equipment: Uses standard office equipment such as personal computers, printer, copy and fax machines, and telephone.
- Travel: Travels to school district buildings and professional meetings as required.