Gates Chili CSD
The Gates Chili Central School District is dedicated to fostering curiosity, growth, and diversity within our school community. The District celebrates and embraces differences and strives to dismantle exclusion, bias, racism, and prejudice of all forms.
This is an entry level food service position involving performance of simple, routine, manual work in the preparation and serving of food in a cafeteria or other dining area. Employees of this class are also responsible for cleaning kitchen equipment and utensils and non-disposable eating utensils, glassware, and china. Work is performed under direct and close supervision of a higher ranking food service employee. Supervision of others is not a responsibility of this class. Does related work as required.
Essential Job Functions
- Prepares ingredients for salads, sandwiches, and cold plates.
- Portions and garnishes all desserts, salads, and fruits for serving.
- Trims, washes and prepares vegetables.
- Sets up serving lines with condiments, hot and cold foods, and table services.
- Serves food from steam table or food line in cafeteria-style operation.
- Washes and sanitizes all pots, pans, and utensils.
- Cleans and dries silver, china, and glassware.
- Fills sugar bowls, salt and pepper shakers, and napkin holders, and holders for utensils and straws.
- Cleans dining tables of dirty dishes and trays in the absence of lunchroom aides.
- Washes and sanitizes dining room tables, chairs, and trays in the absence of lunchroom aides.
- Operates kitchen appliances and equipment.
- Advises students of well-balanced meals.
- Cleans kitchen and dining room area.
- Serves as cashier on student faculty food service line.
- There are no education or experience qualifications for this position.
- Prior experience working in the food industry preferred.
Perform any other related duties as assigned.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Use standard kitchen equipment.
Travel between schools, or between schools and central offices, may be required for certain positions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Working knowledge of the principles of a balanced diet; working knowledge of the regulations of the National School Lunch Program and the Department of Health requirements; working knowledge of portion control; working knowledge of the proper methods of preparing and serving food; working knowledge of proper care and safe operation of kitchen equipment and appliances; working knowledge of the care and use of china, silver, glassware, and kitchen utensils; working knowledge of the operation of industrial dish washers and the use of associate detergents; working knowledge of use and application of cleaning supplies for appliances, equipment, and food preparation and serving work areas; ability to follow simple oral and written directions; ability to prepare and serve food with proper regard to sanitary principles; ability to receive and make correct change; ability to deal effectively with students, faculty, and other diners; willingness to perform routine low-skill work; dependability; health commensurate with the demands of the position.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
Works in standard kitchen and school building environments.
Note: Also see the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental Requirements Needed to Perform Essential Functions for this position.
Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying.