The Gates Chili Central School District is dedicated to fostering
curiosity, growth, and diversity within our school community. The
District celebrates and embraces differences and strives to dismantle
exclusion, bias, racism, and prejudice of all forms.
Teacher Aide - Position Purpose
This is an aide position in which the incumbent directly assists the
teaching staff of a school district with various academic/classroom
related activities. This class differs from school aide in that the
focus of this class is on assisting teachers with classroom-related
activities such as grading papers, proctoring exams, and securing
resource materials rather than clerical and monitoring tasks. Employees
of this class do not assist in the development of instructional
materials or give instruction. The employee reports directly to, and
works under the direct supervision of a teacher or administrator. Does
related work as required.
Teacher Aide - Essential Job Functions
- Assists students with academic assignments;
- Assists students with their project research, encyclopedia skills, card catalogue skills, computer skills, etc.;
- Corrects papers;
- Performs simple and routine clerical duties such as copying or duplicating, filing and compiling attendance sheets;
- Maintains inventory of and schedules repairs for classroom equipment (such as film strips, cassettes);
- Proctors examinations;
- Assists handicapped students with their daily activities with regard to mobility.
- Assist guidance, pupil services staff or building administration, as needed.
- Perform any other related duties as assigned.
- Working knowledge of the school organization;
- ability to follow oral and written instructions;
- ability to obtain student cooperation and attention;
- ability to give instructions;
- ability to work well with students and school personnel;
- ability to understand and deal with student behavior;
- ability to maintain simple records;
- tact; patience;
- good judgment;
- physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
- Acts as a monitor in study halls, corridors, libraries, lavatories, resource centers and cafeterias;
- Performs a variety of routine clerical tasks such as making copies, running dittos, distributing mail;
- Assists in libraries, filing materials, checking and shelving books;
- Prepares bulletin boards;
- Monitors computer lab or room and/or equipment;
- Proctors examinations.
- Perform any other related duties as assigned.
- Works in standard office and school building environments.
- Ability to work outdoors during outdoor student activities.
Teacher Aide - Additional Duties:
The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities.
It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Teacher Aide - Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Teacher Aide - Qualifications Profile Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma; plus, EITHER:
(A) One (1) year full-time or its part-time paid or volunteer equivalent experience working in a clerical capacity; OR,
(B) One (1) year full time or its part-time paid or volunteer equivalent experience working with children; OR,
(C) Possession of a certificate of completion of a course of
Child Care through an occupational school, The American Red Cross or
similar agency; OR,
(D) A combination of experience as defined by the limits of (A), (B) and (C) above.
Successful completion of one (1) year of college education beyond high
school (minimum of 30 semester college credit hours) may be substituted
for the one (1) year of experience. School Aide - Position Purpose
This is a routine aide position in which the incumbent assists in the
variety of tasks involved in the execution of the day-to-day operations
of a school building. This class differs from teacher aide in that the
focus of this class is on simple clerical and monitoring tasks, rather
than assisting teachers with classroom related activities such as
grading papers, proctoring exams, securing resource materials and
assisting students with assignments. The employee reports directly to,
and works under the direct supervision of, a professional staff member.
Does related work as required.
School Aide - Essential Job Functions
School Aide - Additional Duties:
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and
responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or
School Aide - Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Working knowledge of the school organization; ability to follow simple
oral and written instructions; ability to give instructions; ability to
work well with students and school personnel; ability to maintain simple
records; patience; dependability; good judgment; tact; physical
condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
School Aide - Qualifications Profile
There are no education or experience qualifications for this position.
Both - Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
Note: Also see the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental
Requirements Needed to Perform Essential Functions for this position.
Both - Equipment
Use standard office equipment, such as personal computers and copiers.
Both - Travel Requirements
Travel between schools, or between schools and central offices, may be required for certain positions.