The Gates Chili Central School District is dedicated to fostering curiosity, growth, and diversity within our school community. The District celebrates and embraces differences and strives to dismantle exclusion, bias, racism, and prejudice of all forms. Payroll Clerk - Civil Service Competitive Title (Applicants must currently hold title or have received a canvass letter from GC SCD)
Under the direct supervision of the Assistant Superintendent for Business, to administer the school district's payroll function, including developing reporting procedures and internal controls; implementing procedures and processes; ensuring the accuracy of payroll-related data and compliance with school district and regulatory agency requirements and guidelines.
- Inputs and processes payroll information in accordance with established practices; assuring accurate program and funds distribution for timely and accurate payment of district employees.
- Authorizes manual payroll checks for the purpose of resolving problems and meeting special compensation requirements.
- Inputs and maintains all information into the payroll processing system regarding federal and state taxes, as well as all deductions (e.g., retirement, health insurance, dues).
- Sets up and maintains direct deposit system to ensure proper deposits of payroll checks.
- Coordinates with district personnel for the purpose of setting up and maintaining payroll services and/or programs.
- Develops reporting procedures and internal controls for timely and accurate completion of municipal (town), federal and state reporting requirements.
- Implements assigned programs and projects for the purpose of conforming to administrative, state and/or federal requirements.
- Recommends policies, procedures and/or actions for the purpose of providing direction for meeting the district's payroll objectives.
- Researches discrepancies of payroll information and/or documentation for the purpose of ensuring accuracy and implementing corrective measures, as necessary.
- Updates payroll information (e.g., changes to wages/salaries, deductions) annually as needed.
- Prepares and distribute all annual tax information (i.e., W-2 statements).
- Inputs information regarding attendance for posting and reporting.
- Composes a variety of materials (e.g. reports, memos, letters, procedures, manuals, etc.) for the purpose of documenting activities, providing written reference and/or conveying information regarding expenses, balances, etc.
Performs other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the accounting system.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
- Uses standard office equipment such as personal computer, copy machine, fax machine, telephone.
- Uses calculating devices.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of federal and state wage and hour laws, and related regulations.
- Knowledge of accounting and bookkeeping principles.
- Organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to report work orally or in writing to supervisor as required.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide, perform complex arithmetic operations and use calculators.
- Ability to understand, apply and use personal computers and software applications (e.g., Word, Excel).
- Ability to problem-solve job-related issues.
- Ability to process paperwork accurately according to standardized procedures.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information regarding school district financial and other information.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
- Works in standard office building environments.
- See the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental Requirements Needed to Perform Essential Job Duties for this position.
This is a COMPETITIVE position under Monroe County Civil Service. To be eligible to apply for this position, applicants must meet one of the three criteria listed below:
- Currently possess the Monroe County Civil Service Title of Payroll Clerk;
- have held the Monroe County Civil Service Title of Payroll Clerk within the last four years,
- or appear on the current list of eligibles for the title of Payroll Clerk (only) as established and provided to the Gates Chili Central School District by the Monroe County Department of Human Resources and Civil Service. Unfortunately, lists of eligibles established as a result of examinations for any other title do not satisfy this requirement.
FLSA Status: Non-exempt