Gates Chili Central School District is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is dedicated to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at Gates Chili CSD, it is set as the foundation of what we do. We are focused on equity and believe deeply that diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all the other characteristics makes us stronger. Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Office Clerk III
This position is responsible for the independent performance of varied clerical duties requiring a moderate degree of decision making. The use of a personal computer for word processing and database entry is an integral part of this position. The work is performed in accordance with well-defined objectives, policies and procedures, but detailed instructions are given for new or difficult assignments. The work is typically submitted in its final form and is subject to general review by superiors. The employee reports directly to, and works under the general supervision of a higher-level staff member. Does related work as required.
- Prepares and formats legal documents, certifications, authorizations, forms and other related paperwork;
- Enters and extracts data and information from a database;
- Posts and maintains moderately difficult records requiring general knowledge of department or agency functions;
- Processes applications, prepares permits and licenses, collects fees, issues receipts, and accounts for monies received;
- Processes paperwork relating to areas such as payroll, workers compensation forms, and accident/incident reports;
- Types materials from copy, rough draft, or other instruction;
- Prepares and types correspondence on matters where policy and procedures are well defined;
- Checks lists, documents, applications for completeness and accuracy;
- Compiles data, prepares, types, and checks for completeness and accuracy a variety of elementary financial and statistical records and reports;
- Performs searches for information in documents, records, files and computer database and maintains records on a database;
- Obtains and gives out information by telephone, correspondence, electronic communication, and in person;
- Orders and distributes office supplies and maintains records of expenses;
- Operates standard office machines such as computer, copier and fax machine;
- Guides other clerks in the performance of routine phases of their work;
- Maintains filing systems.
Performs other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the District.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Uses standard office equipment such as personal computer, copy machine, fax machine, telephone.
Limited travel to and from meetings may be required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Good knowledge of office terminology, practices, procedures, routines and equipment; good knowledge of business arithmetic; good knowledge of grammar and punctuation; good knowledge of the techniques involved in record keeping; ability to utilize a personal computer for word processing, database entry, spreadsheets and other related computer software; ability to maintain a filing system; ability to work with forms; ability to prepare and type written communications, arithmetic and standardized reports; ability to operate standard office equipment; ability to acquire familiarity with departmental or agency organization, laws, policies and regulations; ability to understand and carry out relatively complex oral and written instructions; ability to communicate orally and in writing; ability to deal with the public; good judgment; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
- Works in standard office and school building environments
*See the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental Requirements Needed to Perform Essential Job Duties for this position.
This is a COMPETITIVE position under Monroe County Civil Service. To be eligible to apply for this position, applicants must meet one of the criteria listed below:
- Currently possess the Monroe County Civil Service Title of Office Clerk III;
- have held the Monroe County Civil Service Title of Office Clerk III within the last four years,
- appear on the current list of eligibles for the title of Office Clerk III (only) as established and provided to the Gates Chili Central School District by the Monroe County Department of Human Resources and Civil Service. Unfortunately, lists of eligibles established as a result of examinations for any other title do not satisfy this requirement.