The Gates Chili Central School District is dedicated to fostering curiosity, growth, and diversity within our school community. The District celebrates and embraces differences and strives to dismantle exclusion, bias, racism, and prejudice of all forms.
This is a responsible position involving the security of valuable property and supplies, at times when employees who are normally responsible for their care and use are not present. In school district settings, the employee is responsible for monitoring and attempting to prevent disruptive behavior. Depending upon assignment, work may be performed during the day, late hours of the night, early hours of the morning and weekends. General supervision is received from an administrative employee of a higher rank. Supervision of others is not a responsibility of this class. Does related work as required.
- Assists with overall safety/security surveillances;
- Conducts periodic rounds, making sure all windows, doors and entrances to the building are closed and locked;
- Monitors and attempts to prevent disruptive behavior in schools or County owned or leased facilities in accordance with agency policies and procedures;
- Prevents admittance to the premises of unauthorized persons;
- Investigates unusual conditions or disturbances;
- Prevents damage to property;
- Assists local fire department with fire alarms and bomb scares;
- Monitors vehicle and personnel movement on school or County property;
- Opens all doors on schedule allowing public to enter;
- Writes simple activity reports concerning such incidents as vandalism, theft, or other disruptive activity;
- Checks valves, boiler pressure and water level to see that they are in operating order.
- Assists parents and other visitors to school buildings with special events and programs.
- Performs other related tasks as assigned by supervisor.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Uses field related equipment as required.
Follows all applicable safety rules, procedures and regulations used in the performance of duties.
Occasional travel between schools, or between schools and central office, may be required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Good knowledge of the duties and responsibilities of a security worker; ability to think and act quickly in emergency situations; ability to climb stairs and walk moderate distances swiftly; ability to write simple incident reports; ability to operate two-way radios; ability to read, write and speak English; ability to follow oral and written directions; ability to check valves, boiler pressure and water level to see that they are in operating order; willingness to work nights or unusual shifts; integrity; reliability; courage; sobriety; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
Works in standard office and school building environments.
Ability to work outdoors in inclement weather conditions.
See the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental Requirements Needed to Perform Essential Job Duties for this position.
Minimum qualifications: Graduation from high school or possession of an equivalency diploma. Experience as a security guard or security officer may substitute for education on a year-for-year basis.
Current registration as a Security Guard with the New York State Department of State is required.
Depending upon assignment, a physical examination may be required.
Depending on position duties, candidates for employment with Monroe County Government will be required to pass a pre-employment drug test.
If you are appointed, you will be required to have a valid license to operate a motor vehicle in New York State.
This is a TEMPORARY position under Monroe County Civil Service. To be eligible to apply for this position, applicants must meet the criteria listed below:
Currently registered as a Security Guard with NYS Dept. of State is required.