Location: Eden Prairie - Minnesota
Sr Motor Hardware Engineer
Business Group: ID (Intelligent Devices)
Business Unit: Motion Control
Reports to: Motors Engineering Manager
Work Location: Eden Prairie, MN USA
Eligible for Relocation: Yes
Who is Rockwell
Do you want to make a difference in the world? At Rockwell Automation you can do just that and more. Rockwell is a global leader in industrial automation and digital transformation. We connect the imaginations of people with the potential technology to expand what is humanly possible, making the world more productive and sustainable. Rockwell is recognized as one of the World's Most Ethical Companies in 2020. We place a high value on integrity which fosters an environment where all employees can and want to do their best work.
To learn more about how we are bringing The Connected Enterprise to life across industrial enterprises, please visit www.rockwellautomation.com.
What Rockwell Brings to You
Rockwell cares about our employees and our benefits package is just one way we support you. Outside the industry expected benefits, Rockwell provides paid parental leave, flexible work schedules, summer hours depending on business needs and eligibility for an annual bonus.
To learn more about our Benefits Package, please visit https://raquickfind.com/.
What Rockwell Needs from You
We need a diverse workforce to do our best work. We need the makers, the forward thinkers, the problem solvers, and everything in between. That is where you come in. We are looking for a Sr. Hardware Development Engineer who will be responsible for the design of servo motors for new product development. This position is part of a job family. Experience will be the determining factor.
What You Will Do
- Lead electromagnetic design of servo motors for new product development.
- Lead servo motor technology assessment to support the development of motor product roadmap.
- Support motor product certification requirements and the creation of design guidance to facilitate certifications.
- Create engineering evaluation test plan to validate motor prototypes.
- Conduct design reviews and peer reviews as needed to ensure that the products meet the intended design specifications.
- Assess products and processes for their ability to meet customer requirements including capability, reliability, and robustness.
Skills You Have
- Knowledge of Motor electromagnetic design.
- Experience with 2D and 3D FEA, Ansys Maxwell, or similar electromagnetic analysis software.
- Basic knowledge of power electronics and servo drives.
- Knowledge of motor insulation system.
- Knowledge of motor thermal modeling.
- Knowledge of motor control theory/algorithm.
- Experience utilizing Matlab/Simulink.
- Knowledge of design for motor manufacturing.
- Experience working in a lab testing environment including use of oscilloscope and data acquisition equipment and writing technical reports.
- The ability to effectively collaborate with and lead a broader team including Product Management, vendors, testers, and Operations.
- The ability to contribute to strategic product direction by keeping others aware of relevant technology.
- Excellent communication, reporting/presentation skills and influence. Demonstrated competency working across business unit lines with an integrated team to achieve positive objectives.
- Prioritizes engineering tasks consistent with the overall motion business strategy.
- Ensures thorough familiarity with policies and procedures relating to standards of business conduct, and demonstrates full compliance with the letter and spirit of such policies and procedures.
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical or Mechatronics Engineering or related Engineering degree.
- Travel 5% of time
- 5 years of experience in servo motor product development
- Master's, PhD Degree in Electrical Engineering or Mechatronics Engineering or Mechanical Engineering.
- Knowledge of robotics, AGV, linear motors and Independent Cart Technology.
- Knowledge of Industrial Automation application including motion application.
- Familiarity with principles of Design for Six Sigma and comfortable working with statistics.
- Experience with 3D modeling (Creo and Solidworks)
- Experience working with certifying bodies such as UL, CSA, TUV, etc.
What Motion Control Does
To remain competitive in today's demanding business world, companies always look for a faster way to design, develop and deliver enhanced machines to meet customer goals. Our Motion Control software helps facilitate the machine design process, simplify integrations and systems debugging as well as speed time to market.
We offer servo drives, servo motors and actuators to provide simplified machine design to provide more system flexibility and improve overall performance. We also provide a new approach to linear motors by using magnets instead of gear/chains and belts to allow for precise motion control with frictionless propulsion. The use of magnets results in reduced downtime and maintenance, decreased energy consumption and improved the ability to change machine profiles.
Rockwell Automation is an Equal Opportunity Employer including disability and veterans.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or reasonable accommodation during the application process, please contact our services team at +1 (see application details).
"This position is part of a job family. Experience will be the determining factor for position level and compensation".
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer including disability and veterans.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or a reasonable accommodation during the application process, please contact our services team at +1 (see application details).