Position title: Senior Desktop Support Analyst, Technical Supervisor
Position #: 126867
The Technical Supervisor is responsible for providing a broad set of technical support for the University of Maryland, Southern Maryland campus located in California MD, St. Mary’s County. Responsibilities include but not limited to: daily support, maintenance, and troubleshooting of hardware and software for desktop computing (faculty/staff, instructor stations, conference rooms, labs, etc), troubleshooting wired and wireless networking issues, maintenance and troubleshooting of Audio/Visual systems found in classrooms and conference rooms, and providing installation support for peripheral devices such as printers, scanners and mobile devices.
The Technical Supervisor is the first point of contact and acts as customer representative until technical issues are completely resolved, coordinating any necessary involvement of other campus services. The individual in this position leads a team of technology specialists and student technicians providing end-user technical support for PCs and associated peripherals, network components and software (operating systems and applications). This position requires current, in-depth knowledge of desktop operating systems, desktop software, mobile platforms, A/V principles and products, customer service, and IT life-cycles and best practices.
The successful Technical Supervisor will be passionate about customer service and be driven to become a subject matter expert on the services he/she supports. The Technical Supervisor will work under the general supervision of the manager of the Server and Desktop Administration team and have a dotted line to the Executive Director of USMSM. In addition the individual will be a member of the Server and Desktop Administration team in the Division of Information Technology at the University of Maryland, College Park, but fully incorporated in the local USMSM support team under the direction of the Executive Director.
Bachelor degree or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience relevant to the position.
3 years of experience in directly related field and 1 year of supervisory experience
General Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must be able to work independently, keep on top of operational and project assignments and see them through to completion on time
- Excellent customer service skills and a strong customer focus. Must also be self-motivated, highly responsible, and require little supervision.
- Strong ability to analyze, troubleshoot and research technical issues
- Effective problem solving skills. Must also be able to work concurrently on multiple projects, adjust to occasional changes in priorities, and respond quickly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Effective written and verbal skills. Must be able to instruct, direct, assist, guide, and share information with both technical and non-technical personnel alike. Ability to adapt communication based on clientele, including vendors, faculty, students and colleagues
Must have experience and ability to demonstrate skills in 3 of the 5 following technical areas:
- Thorough technical knowledge of and experience configuring, maintaining, and troubleshooting both analog and digital AV systems including media control systems (preferably Crestron), networked A/V equipment, integrated lighting controls, video teleconference and the cabling infrastructure required to support these systems
- Strong Microsoft Windows desktop OS knowledge and the ability to apply this knowledge to resolve common client side issues
- Strong Apple MacOS knowledge and the ability to apply this knowledge to resolve common client side issues
- Experience using client device management systems (either Microsoft MECM and/or JAMF for Apple devices) to deploy applications and system updates.
- Wired and wireless client configuration and troubleshooting
- A+, Net+, AVIXA CTS or Microsoft certifications
- Crestron programming or Crestron certifications
- Experience adding computers to Active Directory and troubleshooting Group Policy.
- Able to function as Network Administrator is desired.
- Experience with MS Office Suites, Adobe Creative Cloud, Zoom and the Google Apps for Education suits is highly desired.
Additional information: this position does not provide sponsorship for Visas.
Physical demands: predominantly operates in an office environment. Some periods of time may be spent in computer rooms and communications equipment spaces for installation, testing, and troubleshooting. Some work requires moving and lifting of heavy networking equipment
Best consideration date: 12/10/2021 or open until filled
Please apply at: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/90358
Vaccine protocol: the University of Maryland has made the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of that commitment, the University System of Maryland (USM) recently announced that students, faculty, and staff on USM campuses this fall, including UMD, are required to be vaccinated against COVID. As a prospective and/or a new employee at UMD, you will be required to comply with the University’s vaccination protocol. Proof of full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work at any University of Maryland location. Prospective or new employees may seek a medical or religious exemption to the vaccination requirement at return.umd.edu and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or to obtain approval for a medical or religious exemption will result in the offer of employment being rescinded.