Getty Center Program/Department
Trust - 0114-Communications Category
Salaried Targeted Hiring Range
$64,872 - $84,336 Annually ERRP Eligible
Commensurate with experience and internal equity
Diversity, Equity, Accessibility, and Inclusion at Getty
Getty believes diversity, equity, accessibility and inclusion are essential to our excellence and to the execution of our mission. The Getty community values differences in the pursuit of inquiry and knowledge, mutual understanding, respect, trust, transparency, and cooperation. We are committed to creating a diverse and welcoming workplace that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve and includes individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences. Individuals of color, women, LGBTQIA+, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
As Getty works to offer more content and services in Spanish, we are creating a new role for a Spanish-language editor to help develop Getty's new bilingual program and Spanish-language editorial voice.
As a member of the Editorial Team in the Communications Department, the Spanish-Language Editor will manage the institution's translation needs as they apply to communications and administrative priorities for bilingual content. The editor will ensure that text is accurately and consistently translated from English to Spanish (and vice versa) while upholding Getty standards of style, usage, grammar, and tone.
Major Job Responsibilities
Major Job Responsibilities
Serve as a resource for colleagues across the institution by r
eviewing guidelines, recommending best practices, and advising on the most
appropriate Spanish for bilingual Getty audiences.
- Create and maintain an internal Getty style guide for frequently used and preferred terms or phrases in Spanish and ensure the use of appropriate DEAI language consistent with evolving Getty standards.
- Make recommendations and establish systems to ensure that bilingual content is developed according to institutional priorities and audience needs.
- Partner with colleagues in the development of a strategic, phased plan for rollout of a bilingual program in communication with VP of Communications, Editor-in-Chief in Communications, and other stakeholders across Getty.
- Oversee and/or facilitate the translation of materials into Spanish, including select website content, programming content, press releases, advertisements, internal communications, public-facing signage, news stories, social media, and other content. This may include live interpretation for events and public programs.
- Coordinate with external consultants to ensure consistent and high-quality translations of diverse materials.
- Partner with colleagues across Getty programs to manage the needs of departments communicating with Spanish-speaking audiences and employees.
- Partner with digital media and design specialists to translate, edit, and proofread written content for projects across varying mediums including print, web, and video.
- Produce and/or revise translations as needed for timely or urgent organizational needs.
- Ability to routinely write informal and formal correspondence, narratives, descriptions, and summaries of a factual nature and able to demonstrate of the most frequently used structures and generic and specialized vocabulary.
- Bachelor's degree in related field: Spanish, English, Linguistics, etc.
- At least 3 years' experience as a professional language consultant and/or translator, including post-editorial work.
- Bachelor's degree in the humanities (preferably in English or Art History); MA preferred
- At least 5 years of relevant publishing experience, preferably including 3 years in either a museum or university press environment
All employees must be fully-vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as a condition of employment. Exemptions from this requirement as a reasonable accommodation due to medical contraindication, disability or sincerely held religious belief or practice will be considered.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Exceptional Spanish-language translation and proofreading skills.
- Strong editorial skills, including an excellent sense of language and grammar and familiarity with inclusive editorial practices.
- Excellent project-management skills with a demonstrated ability to prioritize workload, manage complex timelines, develop project roadmaps, and meet deadlines.
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Google Docs, and other cloud platforms.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with colleagues at all levels of the organization.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship or immigration status, color, disability, ethnicity, familial status, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected status.
Interpreters and Translators
3 to 20+ years