The Surgical Assistant position is a surgery based advanced practice surgical technician position which includes direct patient care activities under the direct supervision of the surgeon during the first assisting phase of the intraoperative experience. The surgical assistant may function as a surgical technician when not first assisting.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Competently assists with proper patient positioning, prepping and draping.
- Maintains aseptic technique and infection control practices.
- Applies knowledge of surgical anatomy, physiology and operative techniques for all procedures.
- Works collaboratively with the OR team in pulling equipment and supplies.
- Assisting with room turnover and improving first case starts.
- Competent and proficient to assist with all specialties and all surgeons as assigned.
- Employs and demonstrates team concept with action and communication. Performs functions intra-operatively under the direction of the surgeon and within the scope of practice, experience and capabilities.
- Provides hemostasis by clamping, coagulating and ligating vessels.
- Provides surgical exposure through appropriate use of instruments, retractors, suctioning and sponging techniques. Performs wound closure as directed by the surgeon using suture, mechanical staplers to include peritoneum, fascia, subcutaneous tissue and skin.
- Dissects and creates small incisional wounds for drains, cannulas and trocars as verbally directed and indicated by the surgeon. Applies surgical dressing. Supports infection control practices as directed by departmental and regulatory standards.
- Completion of course work in anatomy and physiology. Successful completion of an accredited certified surgical assistant program.
- Two (2) years experience as a surgical assistant or five (5) years recent experience as a surgical technician in an acute hospital setting.
Certified as a surgical assistant
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands -
Medium work. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.