Sr. Designer, Design Systems
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Dec 16, 2021
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200324722
A Senior Designer on the Design Systems team works closely with creative and technical disciplines to create considered and elegant design systems supporting the visual design of apple.com, marketing and event email communications, and select elements outside of Interactive. This hands-on design lead role balances creativity and logic, and helps ensure a holistic approach is thoughtfully applied across platform typography, iconography, motion, and interface elements. The ideal candidate has strong communication and presentation skills, experience leading a small team of designers, and contributes to positive collaboration with multi-disciplinary team members; a strong understanding of branding principles, style guides, and product design; an elegant design aesthetic, with exceptional attention to detail; Photoshop and Sketch expertise, with solid understanding of HTML and CSS.
- At least 7 years experience in product design (especially for web), defining or extending design systems, and/or working within a brand's strict style guidelines.
- Photoshop and Sketch expertise, including file organization, and preparation of pixel-perfect files for design team use.
- Clear communication and presentation skills that speak to both creative and technical audiences.
- Strong understanding of web development, including HTML and CSS.
- Keen interest in championing brand identity through a balance of consistency and flexibility.
- Proficiency in the formal elements of design, with a strong focus on typography, balance, and proportion.
- Systematic problem solver; able to anticipate the impact of design decisions well in advance of their application.
- Excellent digital file structure and asset management skills.
- Ability to articulate ideas verbally and digitally; be clearly understood by creative, product management, and development staff.
- Ability to deliver strong design rationale, and supporting files in a tight timeframe.
- Preferred: UX and/or UI experience.
- Preferred: Acuity in iconography.
- Preferred: Working knowledge of Principle.
A Design Systems Sr. Designer is a strategic designer. They lead fellow designers and contribute to the creation of comprehensive, elegant design systems with a high degree of polish and attention to detail. They audit current implementations, and identify potential areas for simplification and improved consistency. They design with flexibility in mind, ensuring designs are accessible and adaptive to varying workflows, viewports, technologies, and locales. These designers stress test designs across all possible variations, and refine as needed, creating prototypes to convey states, transitions, and/or behaviors. They also, prepare design files for final documentation. Ensure layout, typography, and specs are pixel perfect. The ability to communicate flexibilities and/or limitations to both designers and development is pivotal. They partner with the Retail Sr Art Director to understand design direction and help inform priorities, with Art Directors and larger project teams to explore and iterate on design options. A Sr. Designer consults with technical disciplines to ensure designs work within given limitations, and files are prepared with all necessary information to support the design intent. They promote thoughtful and purposeful design, rather than an enforcement of rules, by helping to define and/or improve how teams collaborate and leverage existing tools. A Sr. Designer is also a presenter. They determine the best medium, and optimize design files for creative review - be it print, onscreen visuals, prototype, or code. They create presentation flows that establish and build on a foundation of design rationale. They clearly articulate design rationale and any applicable limitations. Participation in healthy debates to ensure design systems are as robust and considered as possible is key.
Education & Experience
BA or BFA in Graphic Design (or equivalent) preferred.