Friday, November 12, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visitwww.gannett.com
Editor Kitchen & Cooking
Reviewed/reviewed.com, a part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a professional journalist experienced in quick-turnaround journalism to join us as a full-time Editor, Kitchen & Cooking covering consumer products for the home cook.
The ideal candidate will have a deep curiosity about the world and an appreciation for smart service journalism. Youll be part of a rapidly growing team and responsible for shaping daily content that enriches peoples lives. Youll have a chance to share your work across the USA TODAY Network and beyond.
Our mission is to help people buy the best stuff and love what they already own. We do this by providing our audience informative, enjoyable, and genuinely useful content.
This position requires editorial experience and a hunger for determining what is true about a product and what is just marketing hype. Previous experience with affiliate links is a plus. This is a full-time, salaried role working 40 hours per week. Our ideal candidate will be an experienced editor whose previous work demonstrates an understanding of quick-turnaround content production, a strong commitment to journalistic ethics, the ability to create a content calendar around key seasonal events, and an understanding of food- and cooking-related products.
This role will also require attendance on certain holidays or big sales, including but not limited to Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and Amazon Prime Day. This role may also include occasional travel to attend industry-focused events like KBIS and CES.
Reviewed is one of the most influential sources on the internet when it comes to reviews of products like appliances, consumer technology, lifestyle products, and more. Youll learn on the job and become a key contributor to a team of talented, like-minded product nerds.
The Editor, Kitchen & Cooking role reports to the Managing Editor, Core Content. We are open to remote employees, but staffers are also able to work out of our (truly awesome) labs in Cambridge, MA.
- Assign and edit multiple articles per week from staff writers or freelance writers.
- Work within your teams editorial workflow to guide stories from pitch to publication in a timely manner.
- Manage at least one direct report and help them improve their skills and grow their careers.
- Oversee the testing of all kitchen-related products, including large and small appliances, pots and pans, cutlery, cookware, bakeware, and meal kits.
- When necessary, recruit and manage freelance writers.
- When necessary, produce work in the appropriate CMS, with the proper formatting, image selection or creation, and link building.
- Be available to work during holidays and major sales, including but not limited to Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Amazon Prime Day, and CES.
- Bachelor's or masters degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience editing and producing high-quality, rapid-turnaround editorial content.
- Ability to quickly edit stories to be clear and succinct.
- An understanding of readers needs, shopping habits, and budget constraints.
- A basic understanding of consumer search trends and shopping habits.
- Competitive drive to be a leading editorial voice.
- An understanding of journalistic ethics and commitment to upholding high ethical standards.
- Basic photo-editing skills and experience with programs like Photoshop or Canva is a plus.
- Knowledge of SEO a plus.
- Experience with affiliate networks, like Amazon Affiliates, Skimlinks, Impact Radius, Trackonomics, or others is a plus.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer background check.
How to Apply:
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, dont limit your upload to a resume; show us what youve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what youve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Our Work Environment:
Most of the work takes place in an open floor plan office, with several smaller meeting rooms and test labs throughout the building. Youre expected to be accessible to the team throughout the day via face-to-face communication, email, phone, and Slack. (The office is currently closed due to COVID-19 and most tasks can be completed from home in the interim.)
Buying stuff is easy. Buying the right thing is hard. Thats where we can help. Reviewed brings consumers the most trustworthy reviews available, written by our team of experts. We believe that tough, objective reviews are the best way to analyze products. We provide readers with insightful, practical, and entertaining stories that help them make informed decisions.
Reviewed is part of the USA TODAY Network, one of the largest news networks in the country, reaching over 173 million monthly unique visitors.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employees race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees.
In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicants disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.s Recruitment Department at Recruit@gannett.com.
Editors of Frontline Journalists