5th grade classroom teacher.
KANSAS CITY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Job Title: Foreign Language Teacher for Immersion/Dual Language Program
Job Title Code: 1390
Salary Grade: TC01 - T06 (see Teacher Salary Schedule)
Department: Curriculum & Instruction
Reports To: Principal
FLSA Status: Exempt
Date Prepared: July 2010 Revised:
PURPOSE OF JOB: Provides total immersion education and core language instruction.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: include the following.
- Teaches core subjects to students in a foreign language.
- Prepares course objectives and outline for course of study following curriculum guidelines or requirements of state and school.
- Prepares, administers and corrects tests; records results.
- Assigns lessons, corrects papers, and hears oral presentation.
- Maintains order in the classroom.
- Keeps attendance and grade records as required by the school.
- Counsels pupils when adjustment and academic problems arise.
- Discusses pupils' academic and behavioral attitudes and achievements with parents.
- Assist with the development and implementation of 2nd Language teaching curriculum.
- Attends on-going training and professional development to maintain success of program.
- Learns current teaching strategies and procedures to assure success of the foreign language program.
- Adheres to all district policies and procedures that pertain to KCMSD teacher employees.
- Assists Foreign Language Resource teacher as needed.
- Speaks English fluently.
- Other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None
- Bachelor's degree (or in the case of a foreign transcript, the equivalent thereof) in Education from a 4-year college or university
- Native or near native fluency in the language to be taught
- Possess good skills in speaking and writing English.
- Hold or be eligible for Elementary Education (1-6) Certification and/or Early Childhood (PK-3) Certification.
NOTE: Possessing a language certification is not sufficient
- Must have a good command of academic, as well as conversational language in the target language
- Demonstrated experience and/or training in current techniques and skills in teaching elementary level students
- Good interpersonal skills and communication abilities
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job requires that the employee be able to: sit, stand, walk, speak, hear, use hands, fingers, reach with hands and fingers; bend, stoop, lift objects of at least ten pounds; visual ability requires mono and color vision. TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Note: If brought to the US through Visa, paid for by the KCPS, cannot apply for transfer from the program for which they were hired for 10 years.
Length of work year: 205 days
Benefits: Retirement Programs, Health and Dental Insurance are provided.
Elementary School Teachers, Except Special Education