Status: Full-time regular position non-exempt
Salary: Starts at $29.68 - $35.26 per hour (Steps A E, 2022 rate)
Additional Pay: Employees are eligible for additional premium pay types (emergency seasonal disruption pay, snow plow on-call pager pay and utility on-call pager pay)
Benefits: Qualifies for full-time benefits date of hire
Location: City of Eden Prairie Water Treatment Plant
Hours: Standard business hours (7am3:30pm); hours vary based on business need
Reporting Relationship: Reports to Utility Field Operations Supervisor
Public Works Department
The Public Works Department is comprised of Engineering, the Water Treatment Plant, Utility Field Operations, Street Maintenance, Fleet Services, and Environmental Services. The department is responsible for the environmental management, design, construction, and maintenance of the street, water, sewer, and drainage infrastructure systems in the community.
The Utility Water and Sewer Maintenance Operator maintains water, sanitary sewer and storm sewer infrastructure systems in the community. This position is responsible for the following areas of impact:
- Leads projects as directed; acts as a mentor to new employees; provides on-the-job training to seasonal staffing and monitors their performance as required.
- Demonstrates strong mechanical aptitude to perform a variety of maintenance activities using hand tools, power tools, and heavy equipment including pickups, dump trucks, sewer suction and jetting trucks, skid steer loaders, backhoes, chain saws, chop saws, large air compressors and assorted air tools.
- Develops and applies specialized skills to the division needs in such areas as carpentry, welding, repair of equipment and infrastructure assets; provides training in specialized skills to co-workers and seasonal staff; looks for opportunities to develop and use technical knowledge to support the efficiency and effectiveness of utility operations.
- Demonstrates safe equipment operation and working conditions in traffic on city streets and upon entering confined spaces.
- Reads and understands the daily use of utility maps and construction drawings, performs division record keeping functions, and utilizes computer technology to assist in these activities.
- Performs daily preventive maintenance and pre-trip DOT inspections on vehicles and equipment.
- Actively seeks self-improvement by participating in educational opportunities to maintain required sewer and water licensing, and to enhance overall technical, interpersonal, and team performance.
- Maintains an excellent driving record and Commercial Drivers License.
- Participates in Public Works snow-clearing operations as a snowplow route driver.
While these areas are the primary focus, we believe strongly in teamwork and employees will be called upon to perform a variety of duties as a part of their role with the City.
City of Eden Prairie Values
We are a service organization. We take pride in what we do. We cultivate a supportive, encouraging and productive culture with a strong customer focus. We promote wellness and plan work/life balance into our goals. We value differences and foster inclusion. We achieve success by exhibiting our core values: collaboration, innovation, integrity, performance and relationships.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent (G.E.D.) required; Associates degree or two-year technical degree preferred; must obtain a Commercial Drivers License (CDL-Class A) with air brakes and tanker endorsement within first 18 months of employment; State of Minnesota Water System Operator Class D certification and State of Minnesota Wastewater System Operator Class S-D required within 18 months of employment; Erosion and Stormwater Management Construction Installer Certification is required within 12 months of employment; Water System Operator Class C and Wastewater System Class S-C certifications are required within 39 months from date of hire; Completion of Water Utility Treatment and Technology courses in Water Distribution (40 hours) and Wastewater Collection (40 hours) will be required of the successful candidate within the first 36 months of employment.
Work Experience: One year of experience required in utility operations or a related field performing similar work tasks or six months of utility field operations employment with the City of Eden Prairie. Work experience must be within the last five years. Previous experience with heavy equipment operation preferred.
Technical Skills: Strong mechanical aptitude and basic knowledge of computer technology preferred.
Physical Requirements: Occasionally exertion of force in excess of 50 and/or up to 100 pounds to move objects or equipment accessories is required. Must be able to exert 20-50 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Must be willing and able to climb ladders in excess of 120 feet and descend into and work inside confined spaces multiple times a day.
Working Conditions: Most work is performed in a field environment involving working inside and outside of vehicles and in confined spaces. Seasonal conditions can include excessive heat or cold. Conditions can include working in wet, muddy, slippery or dusty and windy conditions. At these times there may be intermittent exposure to very disagreeable working conditions. Some assignments involve exposure to odors and toxic gases, such as from solid waste or untreated sewage. There is often exposure to traffic and moving equipment. There is considerable attention to detail when handling equipment in tight quarters or around people.
Position Specific Expectations
Communication: Able to convey a message to get a point across; communicates in a clear and concise manner; able to write clearly and succinctly; tailors message to a variety of communication settings and styles.
Attention to Detail: Able to find errors in work and solve problems; anticipates issues and performs at a high level of accuracy; sets up systems to ensure errors are not repeated.
Accountability: Follows through on commitments; focuses on appropriate tasks throughout the shift; takes responsibilities for actions both as an individual and on behalf of the organization; actions and words are in sync; follows all policies and procedures; maintains confidentiality; is prepared and punctual to all scheduled shifts.
Problem Solving: Uses judgment to solve difficult problems in a timely manner; compares possible options; uses reasoning to explain necessary next steps; looks beyond the obvious; challenges the first answer and seeks alternatives; probes several resources to obtain relevant information.
Decision Making: Makes good decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, experience and judgment in a timely manner; determines a course of action after weighing and analyzing different options; seeks out additional information when necessary; presents solutions and suggestions within the appropriate channels.
Technical Learning: Effective at acquiring skills, abilities and knowledge; quickly learns new industry, organization, and product information; has an aptitude for retaining and applying technical information; able to communicate techniques, software or product to others; is a quick study; able to work under tight deadlines and pressure.
City of Eden Prairie Pre-employment Process
The City of Eden Prairie conducts the following pre-employment checks for this position:
- Professional Reference Checks
- Criminal History and Drivers License Check (must have a valid drivers license and excellent driving record)
- Education and Work history verification
- Pre-employment Physical
- Drug and Alcohol Test
- CDL Process
All final candidates must successfully complete and pass the Citys evaluation of the pre-employment process before their first day of employment.
City of Eden Prairie Application Timeline
Application Posted: January 7, 2022
Application Deadline: Wednesday, January 26th, 2022 at 4:00 PM
Review Applications: By Friday, January 28th, 2022
First Round Interviews: Thursday, February 3rd and Friday, February 4th, 2022 (Virtual)
Final Interviews: Thursday, February 10th, 2022 (Onsite)
Pre-employment Process: Week of February 14th, 2022
Anticipated Start Date: Monday, March 7th, 2022 (negotiable!)