Public Safety Dispatcher
Competitive exam process for civilian Dispatcher with NPT Police Department. Responsible for dispatching police, fire service & animal control personnel & apparatus. Minimum qualifications for testing: HS or GED with related experience preferred. More information online at the city's website. Application to Human Resources by 1/21/2022. Equal Opportunity Employer/AA
Brief Job Description:
(essential functions of the job)
• Monitor officers and their status to ensure officer safety.
• Answer multiple phone lines including police emergency and nonemergency lines, as well as direct lines from the Newport Hospital ER and
• Dispatch appropriate responders using radio, mobile computers and
• Ensure current data is entered into computer system.
• Conduct checks of DMV records, NCIC/RILETS and Criminal History
• Research information and contact people for officers on calls using inhouse computers, internet and other agencies.
• Maintain various department logs & records.
Minimum Entrance Qualifications: • HS or equivalent degree with 1-3 years related work experience.
• Working knowledge of public safety emergency telecommunications
practices and procedures as well as state and federal regulations.
• Knowledge of the geography of the City.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks in a detailed and effective manner and
often under stressful, emergency conditions; ability to establish effective
working relations with employees.
• Ability to maintain calm demeanor and multi-task (i.e. the monitoring of
multiple computer screens) under stressful emergency conditions in a
detailed and timely manner.
• Ability to transcribe and interpret information from monitor screens &
respond in a timely and accurate manner in accordance with department
• Proficient and clear oral and written communication skills with
employees and the public; proficient data processing (use of a personal
computer and office software) and organization skills.
Special Factors: • Evening shift is likely upon completion of the initial training period.
• Must be able to work evenings and holidays.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, veteran status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status or disability (in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act) with respect to employment opportunities.