Monday, January 10, 2022
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visitwww.gannett.com
This position is responsible for business development activities relating to Gannetts enterprise partnership objectives. The candidate will be basedaroundMcLean, VAbut the position is mostly remote. Qualified candidates must possess strongcommunication andnegotiationskills, relentless attention to detail, positive attitude, strong management skills, strong interpersonal skills, enthusiasm for the job and completion of tasks, and flexibility with an eye on meeting key dates and requirements.
The person will have access to confidential business plans, potential partnerships or acquisitions prior to execution, confidential information from outside companies covered by non-disclosure agreements and will need to take the necessary steps to keep such information confidential. The job requiresminimaltravel.Work may require odd hours from time to time due to the nature and urgency of negotiations.
Area of Influence.Person will report to the Senior Director, Business Development and will be required to interface with all levels of the organization (managers to senior executive C levels).The person will be required to work with the legal and cross-divisional business and finance departmentson a daily basisin order to negotiate and execute agreements.
Focus and Impact.The person will need to be able to support various business units and will require the ability to become quickly versed in technologies, products, services (e.g.social, mobile) in order to negotiate and execute contracts. The person will also be asked to be part of strategic discussions, projects, and planning.
Autonomy and Complexity.Working with the Senior Director, thisperson will need to determine how to approach negotiations and have the independence to make day-to-day decisions regarding the approval of the terms of agreements for the best interest of the company.This person will need to provide summary status reports to various executives as requested.
- Job Requirements:
- Creating business relationships and qualifying business opportunities relevant to Gannetts key goals
- Negotiating digital and other publishing-related dealsinclusive of the optimization of Gannetts current partners.
- Navigating internal deal routing processes and securing budgetary, business and legal approval(s).
- Fostering internal communication among cross-divisional stakeholders.
- Confirm budget, timing and strategic requirements in order to execute deals/partnerships (e.g.prioritization, clearing any obstacles).
- Build and maintain relationships with internal stakeholders while communicating and resolving any potential issues.
- Discuss and negotiate relationships with third-party vendors, partners, technology suppliers and others.
- Assess proposals from potential partners or suppliers and provide input to key stakeholders.
- Participate with other key players in Business Development or other business entities in making strategic discussions based on knowledge of the area and businesses they deal with.
- Handle other essential tasks as assigned.
- Bachelors degree, MBA and/or JD preferred.
- Minimum 10 years of related experience.
- Experienceatan internet, media or technology startup environment.
- Advanced-level knowledge of emerging technologies, internet business models and digital media.
- Strong understanding of commercial contracts and associated legal terms.
- Resourceful self-starter with an independent attitude and focus on excellence.
- Strong analytical andproblem solvingskills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills -- ability to effectively communicate complex technical, legal concepts and ideas in a non-technical, simple manner across different levels of an organization.
- Well versed in Microsoft Office (e.g.redlining word documents, financial modeling in excel).
- Ability to operate in a high-energy, high-intensity and rapidly evolving environment.
- Solid organizational and project management skillsare alsorequired.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employees race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees.
In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicants disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.s Recruitment Department at Recruit@gannett.com.