Thursday, January 13, 2022
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visitwww.gannett.com
The Courier & Press/courierpress.com,part of theUSA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a summer Intern to participate in our Internship Program. This journalism intern will help with coverage of breaking news, enterprise reporting and general assignment work. It is a 40-hours-per-week role.
This paid internship program gives college students an opportunity to work in a newsroom environment over the summer for10 weeks. Were seeking students who are looking for a professional-level experience and have the initiative, skills and judgment to excel.
The program will include one-on-one coaching and mentoring, but students are expected to handle stories independently and effectively in a 24/7 deadline-driven environment.
This role could include day and nighttime hours in the newsroom depending on the newsrooms needs and your schedule.
- Handle daily assignments that may include breaking news reporting, writing, copy editing, online production assignments, social media, research, database work and investigative work.
- Gather information from sources at any locations and through any means commonly available for news stories.
- Interview subjects in person, over the phone or via computer, and in writing.
- Travel quickly to wherever the news occurs or is being disseminated.
- Quickly and accurately report information, either verbally or electronically, for publication.
- Participate in brainstorming sessions and pitch story ideas.
- Degree-seeking student currently enrolled at a college or university. Students must have completed at least one year of college and have interest in journalism as a career.
- Strong command of AP writing, spelling, grammar and style.
- Reporting skills.
- Well-organized, detail-oriented and flexible.
- Open to new ideas, new experiences and learning on the job.
- Critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Technical skills (will vary depending on the assignment).
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience performing a wide variety of tasks under deadline pressure.
- Ability to communicate effectively across all levels of the organization.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills required.
- A valid drivers license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer drug screen and background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, dont limit your upload to a resume; show us what youve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 2-3 online samples of your work. Show us what youve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employees race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees.
In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicants disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.s Recruitment Department at Recruit@gannett.com.