As leaders, we need to have not only clearly defined vision and mission statements (and goals that can be acted on), but also the commitment to help others build confidence and leadership abilities, increase knowledge and skills, inspire performance, and create an atmosphere of trust.
Tips to motivate and support your employees and coworkers
Adapted from the Leadership Practices Inventory by Jim Kouzes and Barry Posner.
- Find ways to increase interaction among people who need to work more effectively together (teamwork and trust can only be built when people interact informally as well as formally).
- Commit to replacing the word «I» with «we». As a leader, you cannot do the job alone.
- Replace the word «subordinate» with «associate» or «team member».
- Assign important tasks to others and provide assistance as needed.
- Regularly ask co-workers for their opinions and viewpoints.
- Make sure everyone in your organization receives at least forty hours of job-related training each year.
- Hang out at the coffee machine each morning to engage in conversation and learn how things are going in your associates’ lives outside of work. This is not to pry but to show genuine interest.
- If your office has a door, leave it open; use conference rooms for private matters.
- Admit your mistakes and be willing to say, «I don’t know.»
- Consistently (preferably weekly) share how the unit is doing towards meeting their goals.
- Publicize your team members’ work; point out when teamwork is truly exemplified.
- Become a mentor or volunteer to coach someone in a skill you have.
- Build a network, get connected to key people who are critical to your goals and introduce your team members to them.
As you reviewed the list of tips to motivate and support, did any pop out at you? If yes, was it because it was something you consistently did or something you’d like to start doing?
Helping others feel their sense of value and building cooperative relationships will enhance the work atmosphere, foster communication and ultimately improve results.